This summer was the first time making a galette for me. And god am I glad I tried it. It has definitely become a favorite of mine. The crust has much less butter than a regular one, since I swapped most of the butter for apple sauce instead. It’s also sugar free, since both the apple sauce provides some sweetness to the crust and the fruits are sweet enough for me. But if you prefer it sweeter then you can just add some sugar.
I’ve been trying galettes with all different fruits thought the summer. And now it was turn to try a cherry version. And it turned out so good, it’s definitely one of my favorite ones. I also added some cardamom to the cherries, which made it even more full of flavor.
Ingredients for this Cherry Galette:
- Gluten free all purpose flour
- Vegan (or regular) butter
- Apple sauce
- Cornstarch or Tapioca flour
- Almond milk
Cherry Galette (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar, Oil Free, Sweetened with Apple Sauce)
- 2 1/2 dl Gluten free all purpose flour
- 25 g Vegan (or regular) butter
- 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- A pinch of Salt
- 40-50 Cherries Pitted and havled
- 1-2 tsp Cardamom (optional)
- Almond milk for brushing
- Combine flour, apple sauce, butter and salt in a bowl. Kneed until you have a firm dough.
- Put in a plastic bag or wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the pitted cherries, cardamom and corn starch or tapioca flour. Add sugar if you prefer it sweeter. Make sure the cherries are well coated.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the dough from the fridge.
- Divide the dough in two if making two small galettes. Place the dough on parchment paper and roll out to a thin dough.
- Arrange the cherries on the rolled out dough, leaving about 2 cm on the edges.
- Fold the dough edges in over the cherries.
- Brush with almond milk.
- Put on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes (until the dough is golden brown).
- Remember to keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.