These Fried Gingerbread Appetizers with Blue Cheese & Fruit are both quick and easy to make and taste super delicious. They only require five main ingredients and 10 minutes to prepare. Serve them as finger food, appetizers or even starters. These once are gluten free and sugar free.
If you haven’t noticed Im all about gingerbread! It really is my favorite Christmasy (or actually all year round) flavor. It’s both flavorful, warming, a little spicy and comforting at the same time. We usually associate gingerbread with sweets… but its actually really delicious to pair with savory topping as well. These fried gingerbread appetizers with blue cheese, figs and pear are a true match made in heaven. You have the warm fried gingerbread that has a cozy and intense flavor paired with salty and rich stilton (or any blue cheese that you prefer), warm roasted walnuts and sweet fiber syrup/agave or honey. It’s like a taste explosion in your mouth. And the best thing about these gingerbread bites? They only take 10 minutes to prepare! I guess many of us already bake gingerbread (something) for Christmas. Even if its cupcakes, muffins or a gingerbread loaf you can just use that and slice and fry them. Otherwise you can also buy a store bought one. I used this recipe for my gingerbread loaf, but I skipped the lingonberries and just made it in a loaf pan. These fried gingerbread Appetizers are perfect to serve as appetizers, finger food, starters or include them in a buffet. My version is gluten and sugar free.
A few tips:
- I used this recipe for my gingerbread loaf. But I skipped the lingonberries and made it in a loaf pan instead of muffins tins.
- I used stilton for these appetizers, but you can use any blue cheese that you like or have at home.
- Topping them with fiber syrup/honey/agave is optional but highly recommended.
- These appetizers are best served warm, just because the warm gingerbread makes such a wonderful combination with the blue cheese and fresh fruits. But they are great to eat cold as well.
- You could use other fruits than pear and figs. For example apple, melon or persimmon are great to use as topping as well.
- If you want to make them nut free you can use sunflower seeds instead of walnuts.
Ingredients for these Fried Gingerbread Appetizers with Blue Cheese & Fruit:
- Gingerbread loaf or muffins
- Blue cheese (I used Stilton)
- Fresh figs
- Fiber syrup/agave/honey (optional)
Other recipes you might like:
- Ricotta, Prosciutto & Home Made Cranberry Jam Toast (Gluten Free)
- Mini Meatball, Mozzarella & Tomato Bites (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Savory Pancake Popovers with Salmon & Shrimps (Gluten Free)
- Smashed Potatoes with Creme Fraiche & Fish Roe
- Fresh Figs with Goat Cheese & Prosciutto (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Beetroot Bites Filled with Goat Cheese Cream (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Sweet Potato Crostini with Cream Cheese, Pomegranate & Cranberries (Gluten Free)
- Date Bites with Blue Cheese (Gluten Free)
Fried Gingerbread Appetizers with Blue Cheese & Fruit (Gluten Free)
- 6 slices Gingerbread (see note 1 for the recipe I used)
- 6 slices Blue cheese of your choice (I used Stilton)
- 1 Pear thinly sliced
- 1 Fresh fig cut into quarters
- Walnuts roughly chopped
- Fiber syrup, honey or agave, to top
- Preheat two nonstick pans over medium heat.
- Add the roughly chopped walnuts to one of the pan and roast until golden brown.
- Add the gingerbread slices to the other pan and fry for 1-2 minutes, just until golden brown and warm.
- Meanwhile slice the cheese, pear and fig.
- When the gingerbread is ready place on a plate and top with cheese. Top half if them with pear and half with figs.
- Add the roasted walnuts on top and drizzle with fiber syrup/agave/honey.