A good wrap is both one of my favorite lunch options and such a great thing to make when you need to bring lunch with you. But I’ve never been a big fan of tortilla bread. It quite blad and they always come in big packages with at least 6 pieces. So if I want to make 1-2 wraps I really don’t know what to make out of the rest of them? So they go to waste. To avoid this I started using salad/lettuce leafs. I always have lettuce at home, so I can just pick as many leafs as I need for the wrap, and then use the rest of it for other things without it going to waste like the tortilla bread would have.
I love the fact that using lettuce makes the wrap so much crunchier. Not to mention that it doesn’t get soggy as a tortilla wrap can get if you don’t eat it right away. This wrap is filled with crunchy vegetables, a fresh and light yoghurt dressing and delicious salty halloumi.
Ingredients for this Halloumi Salad/Lettuce Wrap:
- Iceberg salad
- Red cabbage
- Green leafs
- Bean sprouts
- Fresh basil
Halloumi Salad/Lettuce Wrap (Gluten Free)
- 6-8 Iceberg lettuce leafs (depending on how big they are)
- 1/2 package Halloumi sliced
- 1/4 Cucumber sliced
- 5-6 Radishes sliced
- 2 hands full of Green leafs
- 4 Tomato slices
- 1 Scallion (both white and green parts) thinly sliced
- some Bean beansprouts
- 3-4 tbsp Yoghurt
- 1 Lime juiced
- 4-5 Basil leafs roughly chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium/high heat.
- Fry the halloumi on each side until golden.
- Combine yoghurt, lime juice, fresh basil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Put the lettuce leafs in two squares. The leafs should overlap each other so that you can roll them together.
- Add all the vegetables in the middle of the lettuce squares, then put some yoghurt dressing and add halloumi on top.
- Roll the lettuce wrap tightly together and wrao in paper (optional, but easier to eat).