This Open Lentil Moussaka is a quick and easy version of the original one. You only need a baking sheet to bake the vegetables and a pan to make the lentil tomato sauce. This moussaka is healthy, has lots of flavors and comes together in only 20 minutes. Im using green lentils for the sauce since I think they both have the perfect size and for their texture. But they can easily be replaced by any other lentils, beans or even vegan minced beef.
I actually prefer this Open Moussaka to the regular one. It has the perfect amount of tenderness and moist, yet doesn’t get too soggy as a regular one can do. The baked vegetables are tender and soft, but still holds some chewing resistance, which makes the dish more interesting. I also love the mix of aubergine, zucchini and sweet potatoes. They all have different textures and flavors, which also adds some complexity and makes sure the moussaka doesn’t end up blad and boring. This moussaka is easy to make by adapting the recipe to the staple ingredients you have at home.
Ingredients for this Open Lentil Moussaka:
- Sweet potato
- Yellow Onion
- Cherry tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Tomato sauce
- Green lentils
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dry basil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Vegan yoghurt (optional)
- Fresh herbs (optional)
Other recipes you might like:
- Black Bean Sliders
- Zucchini & Cauliflower Fritters (Vegan, Paleo Friendly, Gluten & Oil Free)
- Kidney Bean Burger (Vegan, Gluten & Oil Free)
- Quinoa Stuffed Green Bell Peppers (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- 1 Aubergine sliced lenghtwise in 1/2 cm slices
- 1 Zucchini sliced lenghtwise in 1/2 cm slices
- 1 Sweet potato sliced lenghtwise in 1/2 cm slices
- 1 Yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 6-8 Cherry tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 can Good quality tomato sauce
- 2 can Green lentils draines and rinsed
- 12 tbsp Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 4 tsp Dry basil
- 3-4 tsp Oregano
- 1-2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- A drizzle of Olive oil to fry (optional)
- Vegan yoghurt, to top (optional)
- Fresh herbs such as basil, parsley or cilantro, to top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the aubergine, zucchini and sweet potato and put on a parchment covered baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until its soft and a little brown around the edges.
- Meanwhile prepare the lentil sauce by preheating a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Fry the garlic and yellow onion until it starts to soften and is golden brown.
- Add the cherry tomatoes.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and lentils and mix until everything is combined.
- Add dry basil, oregano, cinnamon and balsamic vinegar (if using). Let it shimmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Add the lemon juice and stir until combined. Let it shimmer until the vegetables are ready in the oven.
- Put one slice of baked and slice vegetable on each plate.
- Add some lentil sauce on top. Repeat using different vegetables until you have a 3-4 layered pile.
- Serve with vegan yoghurt and fresh herbs (optional).