This recipe is for a delicious, tender and fresh Polenta Cake with Mascarpone Cream & Figs. This cake only requires 10 minutes of your time and is really easy to make. It is perfect to serve as an afternoon snack or for dessert. This cake is both gluten, egg and sugar free.
Im quite new to baking with polenta, but I think I will really start using it more often when baking. Polenta is perfect to use both when baking sweet and savory bakes! It make the baked goods very tender, gives it a wonderful texture and a beautiful yellow color. And it’s especially great to use when baking gluten free since it makes the baked goods tender and juicy. This polenta cakes is made with… Polenta of course, oat and almond flour for the dry ingredients and apple sauce, olive oil and milk for the wet. It has a lovely texture, is tender, juicy and super delicious. I topped with a mascarpone and yogurt cream, fresh figs and walnuts. It is perfect to bake now when figs are in season. But you can also make it and top it with berries, cherries of even pears would work wonderful! This cake is perfect to serve as a snack or dessert. It is both gluten, egg and sugar free.
A few tips:
- Don’t over mix the batter.
- I prefer my cake less sweet, since the mascarpone cream also is sweetened, hence I only used about 1 dl of sugar. But if you prefer your cake sweeter you can add more sugar according to taste.
- Let the batter rest a few minutes before adding it to the spring form to allow the polenta to swell a little before baking it.
- The cake might seam a little loose in the middle, but it will set when it cools down. The cake is ready when a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool before removing it from the spring form.
- Also let the cake cool before adding the mascarpone cream on top to prevent it from melting.
Ingredients for this Polenta Cake with Mascarpone Cream & Figs:
- Olive oil
- Apple sauce
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Fiber syrup, agave or honey
- Stevia granular sugar
- Oat flour
- Almond flour
- Baking soda
- Greek or plain yogurt
Other recipes you might like:
- Almond Poppy Seed Cake with Plums (Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Seven Ingredients Salted Caramel Pecan Pie (Vegan, Gluten, Refined Sugar Free)
- Rhubarb, Strawberry & Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Peach & Almond Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chai Spiced Pear Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
Polenta Cake with Mascarpone Cream & Figs (Gluten, Egg & Sugar Free)
For the cake
- 3 dl Milk
- 1/4 dl Olive oil
- 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp Fiber syrup, agave or honey
- 1-2 dl Stevia granular sugar (depending on how sweet you like it, I prefer this cake less sweet and used about 1 dl).
- 2 dl Polenta
- 1 1/2 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Almond flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking soda
For the topping
- 250 g Mascarpone
- 1 dl Greek or plain yogurt
- 1/2-1 dl Stevia granulated sugar
- 4-5 Figs cut each fig into 6-8 pieces
- 4-5 Walnuts roughly chopped
- Fiber syrup, agave or honey, to top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrres Celcius.
- Add milk, olive oil and apple sauce to a mixer and mix until smooth and combined.
- Add the lemon juice, vanilla extract, fiber syrup/agave/honey and sugar and mix again.
- Combine polenta, oat flour, almond flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet little by little and mix in between. Don't overmix, mix just until combined.
- Let the batter rest while you line or grease a 20cm/8inch spring form.
- Pour the batter into the spring form and bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes. The cake is ready when a toothpich comes out clean and it has become a little golden brown. The cake might feel a little loose when you take it out but don't worry, it will sit when it has cooled down for 15-20 minutes.
- While the cakes is cooling add mascarpone, yogurt and sugar in a bowl and gently whisk it together by hand or using a hand mixer. Don't whisk for too long, then it will become too thick.
- When the cake has cooled add the mascarpone cream on top spreading an even layer.
- Top with sliced figs and roughly chopped walnuts.
- Drizzle some fiber syrup/agave/honey on top if desired.