This recipe is for tender, delicious and colorful Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. These cupcakes are super easy to make, only require a few key ingredients and 10 minutes of your time. They are perfect to serve as a healthy and delicious snack or dessert. And they will for sure make everyone a bit happier, both due to the taste and beautiful color. These cupcakes are both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
Who doesn’t love cupcakes? And what not to love? They both look and taste wonderful! I also love the fact that they usually are a little smaller in size than muffins, so they feel more exclusive and luxurious to eat. These red velvet cupcakes are made with a beetroot and ginger juice, which both provides a lovely delicate and gentle beetroot and ginger flavor. The flavor is very subtile and you can just feel a hint of the beetroot and ginger, but that’s what makes them so interesting. Because people will wonder what the secret ingredient is. These cupcakes are really easy to make, are very delicate, tender yet sweet and delicious. The cream cheese topping is fresh and lighter than a regular cream cheese topping, since I used a mix of vegan cream cheese and vegan greek yogurt. The cream cheese frosting is such a nice addition to these cupcakes and make the perfect contrast to the sweet and gentle cupcake flavor. These cupcakes are perfect to serve as an afternoon snack or dessert, since they’re both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
A few tips:
- I used a beetroot and ginger juice, but if you use regular beetroot juice and if you want to have the ginger flavor you can add a little bit of grated ginger to the mixture.
- These cupcakes are vegan, but if you’re not vegan you can substitute the vegan cream cheese and greek yogurt for regular once.
- You can also sub the greek yogurt for more cream cheese if you prefer a “classic” cream cheese frosting.
- Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before you add the frosting on top, otherwise it might melt.
- These cupcakes are good to store in a air tight food container for 4-5 days.
Ingredients for these Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Unsweetened apple sauce
- Olive or avocado oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Beetroot juice with ginger
- Stevia granular sugar
- Oat flour
- Rice flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- (Vegan) cream cheese
- (Vegan) greek yogurt
- Stevia icing sugar
- Lemon juice
Other recipes you might like:
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Merengue Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Gingerbread Muffins with Lingonberries (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Apple & Cinnamon Oat Muffins with Oat Crumble (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Pear & Pecan Muffins (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cream Cheese Filled Banana Muffin Cups (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the cupcakes
- 1 dl Unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 dl Olive or avocado oil
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 dl Beetroot juice with ginger
- 1-1 1/2 dl Stevia granular sugar
- 2 dl Oat flour
- 1 1/2 dl Rice flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2/3 tsp Baking powder
- 2/3 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For the cream cheese frosting
- 1 dl Vegan cream cheese
- 1 dl Vegan thick greek yogurt
- 1-2 tsp Stevia icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Add apple sauce, olive/avocado oil,apple cider vinegar, beetroot juice, stevia sugar and to a blender and mix until combined.
- Combine oat flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the blender and mix just until combined.
- Add batter to 8 cupcake molds.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before adding the frosting.
- Meanwhile add the ingredients for the frosting to a bowl and mix until combined and a bit fluffy using a hand mixer. Store in the fridge until ready to add on top of the cupcakes.