This recipe is for a delicious, moist and tender rhubarb and cardamom cake. This cake is both easy to make and very healthy. It only requires a few key ingredients an 10 minute of your time to put together. The cake is good to serve both for breakfast, a healthy afternoon snack or dessert.
Rhubarb is one of my favourite spring and summer fruits. Or actually it is a vegetable. Anyways, when I see rhubarb at the store I just have to buy it. Since the season is quite short I indulge in all ways I can come to think of and always have something with rhubarb at home. This cake has become a true favourite of mine and I make it all the time. The recipe is really simple and easy and I guess most people have most of the ingredients at home. This cake is both very flavourful yet light, tender and moist. The tart rhubarb flavour together with the sweet cake that has a touch of vanilla and warm flavour from the cardamom makes such a great combination. The cake feels both sweet, warm yet tangy and fresh. Since it’s both gluten, sugar and oil free this cake is perfect to serve either for a sweet breakfast, healthy afternoon treat or dessert.
A few tips:
- If you make your own apple sauce make sure to use apples that you like, since it will effect the taste. Preferably a bit sweeter once since they also provide sweetness to the cake.
- Don’t mix the batter for too long. Neither when you whisk the apple sauce and eggs nor when combining the dry and wet ingredients.
- The rhubarb pieces shouldn’t be either too big nor too small. You want to taste and feel the rhubarb pieces but you don’t want to have a big bite of just rhubarb.
- This cake is good to store for up to four days.
- Put on a plate and wrap with plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
Ingredients for this Rhubarb & Cardamom Cake:
- Apple sauce
- Vanilla stevia drops
- Plant based milk
- Stevia granular sugar (or any sugar of your choice)
- Oat flour
- Rice flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Slivered almonds
Other recipes you might like:
- Rhubarb, Strawberry & Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Apple Ricotta Cake (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Fig Coffee Cake (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Peach & Almond Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Peach & Raspberry Mini Pies with Yogurt Filling (Gluten, Grain, Oil, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Nice Cream with Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cherry Cheese Cake (Light & Healthy)
- Blueberry Vanilla Cream Crumble Cake (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Almond & Poppy Seed Cake with Plums
- Chai Spiced Pear Cake (Gluten, Sugar Free, Naturally Sweetened with Fruit)
Rhubarb & Cardamom Cake (Gluten, Dairy, Sugar & Oil Free)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 dl Apple sauce
- 1/2 dl Plant based milk
- 2-3 drops Vanilla stevia drops
- 1/2 dl Stevia granular sugar
- 2 dl Oat flour
- 3/4 dl Rice flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 stem Rhubarb sliced into 1/2-1 cm thick pieces
- 2-3 tbsp Slivered almonds, to top
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius.
- Combine apple sauce, eggs, stevia vanilla drops and milk in a bowl and whisk until lightly beaten.
- In another bowl combine oat flour, rice flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix using a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Fold in the diced rhubarb and incorporate in the batter.
- Add the batter to a parchment covered baking pan and top with the slivered almonds.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool for at least 5-10 minutes before slicing it.