This recipe is for a Christmasy, juicy, flavorful and super delicious Saffron & Orange Polenta Cake. This cake only requires 10 minutes of your time and is made with just a few ingredients. Serve this cake as an afternoon snack or dessert. This cake is both gluten, dairy, egg and refined sugar free.
If you’re looking for a delicious, easy, super moist and flavorful Christmas or holiday cake to bake look no further! This cake is as Christmasy as it gets, because what else is as associated with Christmas and the holidays as saffron and oranges? Ok a few other things… but for me these two ingredients are so strongly associated with Christmas and I would almost say it’s not Christmas unless you have something baked that includes both saffron and oranges. This cake is a really easy cake that only requires 10 minutes of your time and a few easy ingredients. It is made with polenta as the base, which makes it both moist and tender and adds such a lovely texture to it. It is flavored with saffron which gives it an intense and distinct taste, but also with orange that adds a wonderful sweetness and freshness to the cake. It is topped with slices of orange which adds additional sweetness and makes moist, but also a wonderful fresh and love texture. This cake is perfect to make for advent and Christmas and to serve either as an afternoon snack or dessert. It is both gluten, dairy, egg and refined sugar free.
A few tips:
- You can adjust the amount of saffron according to taste depending on how strong taste you prefer.
- Let the batter rest and swell for a few minutes while you prepare the spring form and arrange the oranges.
- You can skip the oranges on top if you like.
- The cake is ready when the edges have set, the cake will swell and set more while it cools. But make sure a toothpick comes out clean before you remove the cake from the oven.
- Let the cake cool completely before cutting it.
Ingredients for this Saffron & Orange Polenta Cake:
- Non dairy milk
- Olive oil
- Vanilla extract
- Stevia granulated sugar
- Oat flour
- Baking soda
Other recipes you might like:
- Gingerbread Brookies (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Apple Ricotta Cake (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Polenta Cake with Mascarpone Cream & Figs (Gluten, Egg & Sugar Free)
- Saffron Pancakes (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Lussebullar/Saffron Buns (Gluten, Sugar Free & Lower In Fat)
Saffron Orange Polenta Cake (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- 3 1/2 dl Non dairy milk
- 1/2 dl Olive oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2-2 1/2 dl Stevia granulated sugar
- 3 dl Polenta
- 2 dl Oat flour
- 50 g Saffron
- 1 Orange zested
- 1-2 tbsp Orange juice
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- A pinch of Salt
- 1-2 Orange peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Line a 20 cm spring form with parchment paper
- Add milk, olive oil, vanilla extract and sugar to a blender and mix until smooth.
- Add orange zest and juice and mix again.
- Combine polenta, oat flour, saffron, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and combine. Then add to the blender and mix until you have a smooth batter. Let the batter rest while you prepare the orange.
- Cut off the peel and white pith from the orange with a paring knife, then slice them into even rings, removing any seeds. Arrange the oranges at the bottom of the spring form.
- Pour the batter over the arranged oranges and place in the middle of the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes. The cake is done when the edges have set and a toothpick comes out clean. The cake is ready when the edges are set but the middle might still look a little wobbly. It will set while it cools. So don't bake the cake for too long. But still you want the toothpick to come out clean.
- Take out and let the cake cool completely before removing it from the spring form.
- When the cake has cooled remove the spring form and turn the cake up side down, having the oranges facing up.