I usually like to serve scallops as a starter. But this dish is a made as a main dish. These pan fried scallops are served on a bed of silk cauliflower pure, cherry tomatoes and balsamic warm dressing. This dish just breaths Italy to me. I love how the warm balsamic dressing lifts this dish. Imagine a bite of soft creamy cauliflower purée, with the delicate yet salty scallop, juicy sweet tomatoes and warm balsamic vinegar. Its just a match made in heaven!
Ingredients for the “Scallops Italian Style”:
- Dijon mustard
- Italian honey tomatoes (or regular tomatoes, but they should be good quality and sweet)
- Balsamic vinegar
Scallops Italian Style
- 1/2 Cauliflower head cut into smaller pieces
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 6 Scallops
- 8 Italian honey tomatoes (or other good quality tomatoes) queartered
- 4 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Honey
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sized pot.
- Add some salt and the cut cauliflower and boil until soft.
- In a small pot add balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and honey and let is shimmer on low heat while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Drain the cauliflower and add to a blender and mix until smooth.
- Add dijon mustard, salt and cumin to the cauliflower and mix again until everything is combined.
- Preheat a pan over medium/high heat.
- Seasone the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Fry in the pan for 2-3 minutes on each side (depending on how raw you like them).
- Put the cauliflower purée on a plate with scallops on top.
- Put tomatoes around the califlower purée.
- Add warm balsamic sauce on top and garnish with fresh basil.