If you are looking for an easy yet delicious and flavorful winter salad this Shaved Brussels Sprouts & Kale Salad is a must try! This salad only calls for a few key ingredients and is ready to serve in only 10 minutes. This shaved Brussels sprout and black kale salad is great to serve both as an appetizer or side dish to your main course. It is both gluten, grain, oil free and low carb.
When I speak to people a lot of them say “oh but salads are only for summer…” or “but salads, what’s that. Just some green lettuce, that’s no food and it’s so boring”. But those people couldn’t be more wrong! Salads are far from boring and not only summer food! This shaved Brussels sprout salad with black kale is a perfect example on how to make a salad that is both quick and easy but at the same time super delicious, flavorful and also healthy! You have the perfect mix of crunchy shaved Brussels sprouts, fresh kale, zesty lemon juice, crunchy pomegranate seeds, warm dry roasted nuts, sweet yet a little sour cranberries and salty parmesan cheese. How can you not like this mix? And the best thing?! It is both quick, easy, healthy and wallet friendly! This salad is perfect to serve both as a starter or as a side dish to your main course. And it is both gluten, grain, oil free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Shaver or slice the Brussels sprouts as thin as you can. They should add a crunchy and light feeling to the dish, hence you don’t want too big pieces that take over the dish.
- I love to dry roast my nuts. It adds such a lovely roasted and nutty feeling to a dish, and also some warmth since the nuts are warm after roasting them.
- You can also use plain nuts and skip the roasting part.
- But you can also fry them in some olive oil or butter and then sprinkle the olive oil/butter over the salad as a dressing.
- If you don’t have parmesan cheese at home you can also use pecorino or Grana Padano.
Ingredients for this Shaved Brussels Sprouts & Kale Salad:
- Brussels sprouts
- Black kale
- Dried cranberries
- Hazel nuts
- Parmesan cheese
Other recipes you might like:
- Kale Salad with Pears & Blue Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Antioxidant & Quinoa Salad (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Warm Kale Salad (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Fresh Fig, Prosciutto & Goat Cheese Salad
- Tomato & Plum Salad (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Radish Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Baked Feta Cheese & Grape Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Raw Beetroot Carpaccio with Fennel & Pomegranate Seeds
- Winter Kale Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Easy Winter Salad with Apple & Cranberries (Gluten Free)
Shaved Brussels Sprouts & Kale Salad (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- 10 Brussels sprouts shaved or thinly sliced
- 5 stems Black kale torn into smaller pieces
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- 2 tbsp Dried cranberries
- 2-3 tbsp Pomegranate seeds
- 2 tbsp Hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp Almonds
- 1/2 dl Parmesan cheese shaved
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the hazelnuts and almonds and let them dry roast until golden brown. Keep an eye on them and stir regularly not to burn them.
- Meanwhile shave (using a mandolin, watch out for your fingers) or slice them as thinly as you can. Place in a bowl.
- Remove the stem and divide the black kale into smaller pieces. Also add to the bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and massage it into the salad using your hands.
- When the nuts are ready add them to the bowl together with pomegranate seeds and dried cranberries.
- Top with shaved parmesan cheese.