This simple yet very delicious winter kale salad is the perfect salad to make when you crave greens or need a delicious and easy side dish. This salad is vegan, gluten free, paleo and low carb. It’s ready in only 15 minutes and easy to adapt according to preferences.
Someones else needing more greens in their life during Christmas time and all the sweets and heavy Christmas food being served all the time? I sure do! This salad is a mix of raw, sautéed and baked vegetables. I really wanted to make this a seasonal salad, using vegetables and ingredients that are easily found during winter. Therefore I made the base using sautéed black and green kale. But I also love adding fresh and raw vegetables, therefore I added green leafs, bell pepper and red cabbage. To provide some sweetness and softness I made roasted sweet potato. Then mixing everything with a fresh yogurt dressing that provides creaminess and freshness to the salad. To add some more crunch I topped it with pomegranate and pumpkin seeds. This winter kale salad is perfect to serve either on its own or as a side dish to your Christmas food.
Ingredients for this Winter Kale Salad:
- Green kale
- Black kale
- Red bell pepper
- Sweet potato
- Red cabbage
- Pomegranate seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- (Vegan) yogurt
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
Winter Kale Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free, Low Carb)
- 3 stems Green kale divided into smaller pieces
- 3 stems Black kale divided into smaller pieces
- 1-2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 Red bell pepper cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 big Sweet potato diced
- 1 dl Red cabbage thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Pomegranate seeds
- 3 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp (Vegan)yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Put the sweet potatoes on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes, until soft.
- Meanwhile preheat a nonstick pan over medium/high heat.
- Add the green and black kale and 2 tablespoons of water to the pan.
- Let the kale sauté until the water has evaporated and has softened a little bit.
- Meanwhile slice the bell pepper and red cabbage.
- Combine yogurt, dijon mustard and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add some water if needed to thin it.
- When the kale and sweet potatoes are ready, put in a bowl together with bell pepper, red cabbage and the yogurt sauce. Combine well so that the yogurt sauce covers all parts of the salad.
- Top with pomegranate and pupkin seeds.