This recipe is for a flavorful, easy and healthy Sweet Potato & Halloumi Curry. This curry is made with a few staple ingredients and only takes about 30 minutes to make. Serve it for lunch, dinner or make it for meal prep purpose. It is both vegetarian and gluten free.
Nothing like a delicious curry during winter if you ask me. They’re both warming, comforting and can be varied endlessly. This curry is made with sweet potatoes and halloumi as the main ingredients, using coconut milk and crushed tomatoes as the base. This curry is very easy and quick to make, filled with lot of different spices that makes it both flavorful, a bit spicy and warm at the same time. It’s a wonderful combination of sweet and tender sweet potatoes, warm spices, a creamy curry base and salty warm fried halloumi cheese on top. It is perfect to serve for both lunch or dinner or to make for meal prep purpose. It is both vegetarian and gluten free.
A few tips:
- Adjust the amount of chili and ginger depending on how spicy you prefer your curry.
- Let the curry simmer for 15-20 minutes to let it reduce and make sure all the spices and flavors really come through.
- Add the green kale just at the end. It should get warm and a little soft, but not mushy and overcooked.
- Fry the halloumi just before ready to serve the stew.
Ingredients for this Sweet Potato Halloumi Curry:
- Yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Red chili
- Ground turmeric
- Ground ginger
- Paprika powder
- Sweet potatoes
- Coconut milk
- Crushed tomatoes
- Green kale
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Moroccan Chickpea & Eggplant Stew (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Salmon Red Curry (Gluten, Dairy & Oil Free)
- Chickpea Curry (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Thai Green Curry with Meatballs (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Lentil Curry (Vegan)
Sweet Potato & Halloumi Curry (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- 1 Yellow onion chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cm Fresh ginger minced
- 1/4-1/2 Red chili finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Sweet potatoes diced
- 1 can Coconut milk (I used reduced fat)
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes
- 2 stems Green kale divided into smaller pieces
- 1 package Halloumi diced
- 2 dl Rice
- 4 dl Water
- Cilantro, to top
- Lime, to top cut into wedges
- Olive oil, to fry
- Cook the rice according to instructions.
- Meanwhile it cooks preheat some olive oil in a big pan.
- Add the chopped onion and fry for 1-2 minutes, until it starts to get soft and golden brown.
- Add the garlic, fresh ginger and chili together with all the spices. Stir together and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes and stir to combine.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pan and stir together. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the crushed tomatoes and let it simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft and the curry has reduced a bit.
- Add the kale and let it cook for just 2-3 minutes more, until the kale has softened a bit.
- Meahwile preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Fry the diced halloumi until golden brown.
- Add rice to bowls and curry on the side.
- Top with halloumi, fresh cilantro and lime wedges.