This is a recipe for a chia pudding inspired by a Swedish Semla. This Swedish Semla chia pudding is quick and easy to make, only requires a few staple ingredients and 10 minutes of your time. Make this Swedish semla chia pudding for breakfast or afternoon snack. It is both vegan, gluten, and sugar free
My favorite breakfast to make whenever I don’t want to stand in the kitchen during the morning is without a doubt chia pudding. The best thing is that they can be varied endlessly depending on what you’re in the mood for and depending on the season! This chia pudding is inspired by one of our most beloved sweets that we have in Sweden – The Semla. Semla is a cardamom flavored yeast bun filled with almond paste and whipped cream. You eat it during Fat Tuesday, but to be honest we start eating it in January already. Im actually not a big fan of the original pastry. But I do love cardamom and almond paste, so instead Im making Semla inspired breakfasts, sweet treats and desserts. This Semla chia pudding consists of creamy cardamom flavored chia pudding, an easy and quick sugar free almond paste and topped with either whipped coconut cream or plant based yogurt. It is perfect to make both for breakfast or for an afternoon treat. This chia pudding is both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
A few tips:
- I used almond milk when making this chia pudding, but you can use any milk you like or prefer.
- I would recommend you to use freshly ground cardamom pods, but you can replace them with ground cardamom.
- The almond paste is made with almond flour, almonds, fiber syrup and dates. You can adjust the amount of fiber syrup and dates depending on how sweet you prefer your almond paste.
- You will most probably need some water to thin the almond paste. Start by adding a little and then more as needed until it reaches desired texture.
- You can top this chia pudding with whipped coconut cream or plant based yogurt.
Ingredients for this Swedish Semla Chia Pudding:
- Chia seeds
- Plant based milk (I used almond)
- Cardamom pods or ground cardamom
- Stevia vanilla drops
- Almond flour
- Fiber syrup or agave
- Coconut cream or plant based yogurt
Other recipes you might like:
- Swedish Semla Porridge (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cardamom Poached Pears with Yogurt & Granola (Sugar Free)
- Chai Spiced Smoothie Bowl (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Spiced Chia Pudding with Apple Sauce & Granola (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cardamom Overnight Oats with Fried Apples & Yogurt (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Layered Overnight Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Overnight Chia Oats with Peach Sauce (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Vanilla Overnight Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Swedish Semla Chia Pudding (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the chia pudding
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1-1 1/2 dl Plant based milk (I used almond)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom pods (or ground cardamom) freshly grounded
- 3-4 drops Stevia vanilla drops
For the almond paste
- 1/2 dl Almon flour
- 1/2 dl Almonds
- 2-3 tbsp Fiber syrup or agave
- 1-2 Dates pitted
- Water, to thin
For the topping
- 1/2 dl Coconut cream or plant based yogurt
- 2-3 Almonds roughly chopped
- Combine the ingredients for the chia pudding in a bowl. Taste to check if more seasoning or sweetener is needed. Place in the fridge and let it rest for at least 2-3 hours, but preferably over night.
- Add the ingredients for the almond paste to a high speed blender with just a little bit of water and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add more water if needed.
- When the chia pudding is ready place half of the pudding at the bottom of a glass or jar. Add almond paste and then add rest of the chia pudding.
- Top with whipped coconut cream or plant based yogurt and top with roughly chopped almonds.
3 thoughts on “Swedish Semla Chia Pudding (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free) ”