This recipe is for a creamy, flavorful and super delicious Cardamom Overnight Oats with Fried Apples & Yogurt. This overnight oats is both easy to make, only requires a few staple ingredients and 10 minutes of your time. Serve this overnight oats for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. It is both gluten and refined sugar free, and can easily be made vegan by swapping the greek yogurt for a plant based one.
I’ve said it before, and I will say it again! Overnight oats is one of my all time favorite breakfast to make. They’re both easy to make, so convenient since you can prep them the day before and you can vary them endlessly depending on the season, what your in the mood for and what you have at home. They really don’t have to be complicated at all, and as mentioned, you just need oats and then you can add whichever else ingredients you have at home. This overnight oats is made using a cardamom and seed porridge blend, plant based milk, warm cinnamon fried apples, fresh cold greek yogurt and crunchy granola and sliced apple on top. This overnight oats is a perfect mix of creamy, cold, warm, soft and crunchy. When making overnight oats I always aim to include different textures and flavors to make it more interesting. Because just eating a plain overnight oats can feel a tad boring unless you spice it up with some additional add-ins and toppings. In this case having some sunflower and chia seeds in the porridge blend adds a lovely crunch, the cardamom adds lot of flavor and makes it cozy and warming. The fried apples add a nice warm feeling to the oats while the greek yogurt provides a freshness. The granola and apple on top make the overnight oat feel more interesting and adding that extra crunchy feeling to it. If you don’t have a similar porridge blend to the one I used don’t worry! You can easily make a similar one yourself (I included an option in the recipe if you want to make your own blend). This overnight oats is both gluten and refined sugar free, and can easily be made vegan just by using a vegan yogurt instead.
A few tips:
- You can adjust the amount of milk depending on how creamy and goey you like your overnight oats. You can make the overnight oats and let it soak and then add more plant based milk when ready to serve if you think it’s too dry.
- I used this cardamom and seeds porridge blend for the overnight oats. But I have also written an option in the recipe if you don’t have this or a similar blend. It is not exactly the same, but it is how I would have done it if I wouldn’t have had this porridge blend.
- You can add a little vanilla extract or stevia vanilla drops if you want a sweeter taste to the overnight oats.
- Let the oats rest for at least one hour, but I love to make it the night before.
- I love to fry the apples when Im ready to eat breakfast, just to have them warm. It really makes such a nice contrast to the cold oats and greek yogurt. But you can of course also fry them the day before. But I would at least take them out of the fridge about 20-30 minutes before eating, not to have them too cold. Or reheat them in the microwave.
Ingredients for this Cardamom Overnight Oats with Fried Apples & Yogurt:
- Cardamom & Seed Porridge Blend or the next four ingredients
- Sunflower seeds
- Chia seeds
- Plant based milk
- Stevia vanilla drops or vanilla extract (optional)
- Greek yogurt
Other recipes you might like:
- Porridge & Granola Stuffed Baked Apples (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Porridge with Fried Banana (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Layered Overnight Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Cardamom & Berry Baked Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Overnight Chia Oats with Peach Sauce (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Greek Yogurt with Home Made Raspberry Jam & Granola (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Vanilla Overnight Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Granola & Nuts Stuffed Baked Pears (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Spiced Chia Pudding with Apple Sauce & Gingerbread Granola (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Cardamom Overnight Oats with Fried Apples & Yogurt (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- 2 dl Cardamom Porridge Blend (see note 1) or the following four ingredients
- 1 1/2 dl Oats
- 2 tbsp Sunflower seeds
- 1-2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1/2 Cardamom
- 1 dl Plant based milk
- 3-4 drops Stevia vanilla drops (or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 Apple diced
- 1/2-1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1-1 1/2 dl Greek yogurt
For the topping
- 1/2 Apple thinly sliced
- Combine the cardamom porridge blend (or the four following ingredients) together with milk and vanilla drops/vanilla extract (if using) in a bowl. Let it rest for at least one hour, or over night.
- When ready to serve preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some coconut oil.
- Add diced apples and fry for about five minutes, until warm, golden brown and a little softened.
- Divide the overnight oats between two bowls/jars.
- Top with fried cinnamon apples, greek yogurt, granola and sliced apple.