This recipe is for a warming, creamy and super delicious Vanilla Porridge with Rhubarb. This porridge is made with just a few staple ingredients, ready to serve in 15 minutes and silly easy to make. Make it for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. It is both vegetarian, gluten and sugar free and can easily be made vegan.
Noting beats a good, creamy and warming porridge for breakfast if you ask me! They’re both easy and quick to make, filling, healthy and nutritious. Not to mention wallet friendly. One thing I do love to add though is some steel cut oats to my rolled oat porridge, just because it adds such a lovely texture to it. Steel cut oats are a bit harder than rolled oats, which make the porridge creamy yet still with a little bit of chewing resistance and crunch. This porridge is vanilla flavored and topped with fresh cold Greek yogurt, creamy rhubarb compote, baked rhubarb stems and a delicious plant based milk. I really love to mix cold and warm ingredients when making a porridge, it turn into a wonderful combination of warming yet fresh. You have a warm and creamy porridge, gold fresh Greek yogurt, the rhubarb compote can be served both cold and warm, tender warm rhubarb stems and cold fresh milk. This porridge is gluten and sugar free and can easily be made vegan.
A few tips:
- The rhubarb compote can be made in advance.
- The same goes for the rhubarb stems.
- Cooking steel cut oats takes a little longer than cooking regular oats. Hence let it simmer on low heat for at least 10 minutes. Add more water as needed.
- I cooked my porridge in water, but you can also cook it in milk. That will of course affect the taste slightly.
- You can also add additional spices like cardamom or cinnamon to the porridge if preferred.
- The rhubarb compote can be served either warm or cold.
Ingredients for this Vanilla Porridge with Rhubarb:
- Rolled oats
- Steel cut oats
- Vanilla stevia drops or vanilla extract
- Fiber syrup/agave/honey
- Greek yogurt or quark (vegan if preferred)
- Rhubarb Compote
- Plant based milk (or regular)
Other recipes you might like:
- Vanilla Oatmeal with Roasted Figs & Coconut Flakes (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Nice Cream with Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Baked Spiced Oatmeal with Pecan & Sunflower Crumble (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Amaranth Porridge with Apple & Cinnamon (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten, Dairy & Sugar Free)
- Oatmeal Bars with Berries (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Vanilla Overnight Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Overnight Chia Oats with Peach Sauce (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Quinoa Porridge with Plum Compote (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cardamom & Berry Baked Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Layered Overnight Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Porridge with Fried Banana (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cardamom Overnight Oats with Fried Apples & Yogurt (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Baked Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
Vanilla Porridge with Rhubarb (Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the oats
- 1 dl Rolled oats
- 1/2 dl Steel cut oats
- 3 dl Water
- 4-5 drops Stevia vanilla drops (or vanilla extract)
- A pinch of Salt
For the topping
- 1/2 stem Rhubarb cut into 2 cm sticks
- 1 tbsp Fiber syrup, agave or honey
- 2-3 tbsp Greek yogurt or quark
- 3-4 tbsp Rhubarb compote (see note 1 for the recipe)
- Plant based milk
- Make the rhubarb compote according to note 1.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the rhubarb stalk and place on an oven safe baking pan. Drizzle with fiber syrup/honey/agave. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until soft and tender but not over baked.
- Place all the ingredients for the porridge in a bowl and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer under lid for 10-15 minutes on low heat. Stir occasionally and check if more water is needed.
- Add the porridge to a bowl. Top with Greek yogurt/quark, rhubarb compote, rhubarb stems and milk.