This is a recipe for a warming, delicious and healthy Quinoa Porridge with Plum Compote. This quinoa porridge is super easy to make, naturally gluten free and nutritious at the same time. Serve it for breakfast or afternoon snack. It is both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
Porridge is such a good, easy and healthy breakfast or snack to make. I guess the most common porridge that is being made is a classic oatmeal porridge. But there are so many other grains and/or ingredients that can be used when making a porridge. Like this quinoa porridge! Quinoa is very nutritious, wallet friendly and naturally gluten free, and therefore such a great base for making a porridge. Another great thing about quinoa is that it really absorbs flavors very well, hence it is really easy to season it with your favorite flavors. This porridge is made using quinoa, coconut milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Then topped with more milk, home made plum compote/sauce, fresh plums and sunflower seeds. This porridge is perfect to serve when you need a warming, healthy and stomach friendly breakfast or snack. It is both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
A few tips:
- I used coconut milk when making my porridge, but you can use any milk you have at home.
- Let the porridge shimmer on low heat, don’t rush it. Letting it shimmer on low heat will prevent it from burning, sticking to the bottom of the pot and also you won’t risk overcooking it.
- I prefer my porridge to be just a little “al dente” and not cooking it fully soft. But you can cook it according to your taste.
- If the porridge isn’t soft when the milk has evaporated/incorporated in the quinoa add 1-2 tablespoons more.
- I used my home made https://foodfuelness.com/plum-jam-sacue-sugar-free/">plum compote/sauceplum compote for this porridge. It is really easy to make and ready in only 15 minutes.
Ingredients for this Quinoa Porridge with Plum Compote:
- Plant based milk (I used coconut milk)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Plum compote
- Sunflower seeds
Other recipes you might like:
- Vanilla Oatmeal with Roasted Figs & Coconut Flakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Baked Spiced Oatmeal with Pecan & Sunflower Crumble (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Amaranth Porridge with Apples & Cinnamon (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Vanilla Cauliflower Porridge (Vegan, Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Quinoa Porridge with Plum Compote (Vegan, Gluten, Grain & Sugar Free)
- 1/2 dl Quinoa (uncooked)
- 1+1/2 dl Plant based milk (I used coconut milk)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamion (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp Plum compote (see note 1)
- 1/2-1 Plum pitted and sliced
- 1-2 tbsp Sunflower seeds, to top
- Cook the plum sauce/compote unless already prepared by following the linked recipe.
- Place the quinoa and milk in a small pot and bring to a shimmer. Lower the heat immediately and let it shimmer over low/medium heat for 5-10 minutes until it turns into a creamy porridge. Stirr regularly to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Place the quinoa porridge in a bowl. Top with more milk (optional), plum compote, sliced plums and sunflower seeds.