This is a delicious and warming porridge made with amarant seeds. This porridge is vegan, gluten, sugar free and high in protein. Serve it with hot or cold milk and a generous amount of apple sauce, cinnamon fried apples and more cinnamon.
What is amaranth?
Have you ever tried amaranth? It’s a gluten free seed that is categorized as a grain but technically considered a pseudocereal (like buckwheat or quinoa). It has its roots in Central and South America and was the one food crop that the Aztecs ate the most. It is very high in zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium and packed with antioxidants. And it is the grain that has the highest amount of protein. Therefore amaranth is truly a super food and perfect to include in your diet. But it’s not very commonly used or known in our part of the world. It has a bit of a nutty and earthy flavor, with some kind of whole wheat taste to it. That’s the best description I can give. As always when you cook a grain or seed you can easily add spices to adjust the taste.
Amaranth can be used for many different purposes! Therefore today I want to share this delicious amaranth porridge with you. This porridge is cooked in cashew milk and some vanilla stevia drops, which makes it creamy and gives it a hint of sweetness. To top this porridge I suggest adding warm almond milk, home made Apple Sauce, cinnamon fried apples and top with even more cinnamon and some chopped pecans.
Ingredients for this Amaranth Porridge with Apples & Cinnamon:
- Plant based milk
- Stevia vanilla drops
- Apple sauce
- Pecan nuts (optional)
Other recipe you might like:
- Cauliflower Porridge with Rhubarb & Pistachio Nuts (Paleo Friendly)
- Grain Free Chocolate Tahini Granola (Vegan, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Chocolate Tahini Granola Breakfast Bowl with Baked Cherries
- Vanilla Oatmeal with Roasted Figs & Coconut Flakes (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Oat Flour Dutch Baby with Yogurt & Fresh Berries (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Baked Spiced Oatmeal with Pecan & Sunflower Crumble (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Amaranth Porridge with Apples & Cinnamon (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar Free)
- 1 dl Uncooked amaranth
- 2 dl Plant based milk (I used cashew milk)
- 1/2 dl Water
- 2-3 drops Stevia vanilla drops
For the topping
- 1 Apple cored and diced
- 4-6 tbsp Apple sauce
- Cinnamon, to taste
- 1 dl Plant based milk (I used almond)
- Pecan nuts roughly chopped
- In a small pot bring amaranth, milk and water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cover with a lid and let it shimmer for 15-20 minutes, until soft but not over cooked. Let the porridge rest in the pot with the lid on while you prepare the toppings.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add diced apples, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1-2 tbsp of water. Let the apples shimmer until the water has evaporated. Then let them fry for another 1-2 minutes until a little soft (they should still have some crunch left) and golden brown.
- I love to serve my porridge with warm milk. If you also want to serve it warm heat it up on low heat until just warm. It should not start to boil.
- Divide the porridge between two bowls.
- Add the milk and top with apple sauce, fried apples and cinnamon.