This Red Curry with Prawns is a delicious, flavorful and warming curry. It’s really easy to make, has a lot of different tastes and textures and is both comforting and warming. This dish is perfect to make for a weekday meal or to make a big batch and use for meal prep purpose. It’s both low carb, dairy and gluten free.
If you like seafood, asian food and lots of different flavors this is a dish you have to try! This red curry is easy to make, has many different flavors and is both comforting and warming. The base is made using coconut milk (I used reduced fat to make it less heavy, but you can use full fat if you prefer it) and red curry paste. Then you have a lot of different fresh spices, such as ginger, garlic and red chili. I added eggplant to the curry, that is soft and tender due to being cooked in the coconut milk. Then its topped with raw carrot ribbons to add some crunch and freshness to it. And of course, the prawns! They add a gentle taste with a wonderful “meaty” texture. You can choose to cook the prawns in the curry or fry them in a pan on the side and then just add them to the curry when it’s ready to serve. For this recipe I made the latter one.
A few tips:
- This red curry is perfect to make in big batches and use for meal prep purpose.
- You can also make the red curry base, divide it into portion sized servings and keep it in the freezer. Then just thaw it over night and cook or fry the prawns and add the raw carrots and top with scallion, fresh green chili and cilantro when serving it.
- This curry is good to store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Ingredients for this Red Curry with Prawns:
- Coconut or olive oil
- Fresh ginger
- Green or red chili
- Yellow onion
- Coconut milk
- Red curry paste
- Fish sauce
Other recipes you might like:
- Thai Green Curry with Meatballs (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Asian Style Salad Cups with Shrimps
- Harissa Fried Shrimps with Cauliflower Purée & Summer Vegetables
- Spicy Scallops with Brussel Sprouts & Shiitake
- Fish & Seafood Soup
Red Curry with Prawns (Low Carb & Dairy Free)
- A drizzle of Coconut or olive oil
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2-1 Green or red chili thinly sliced
- 1 small Yellow onion finely diced
- 2 Scallions (both white and green parts) thinly sliced
- 1/2 Eggplant diced
- 1 (200ml) can Coconut milk (I used reduced fat)
- 2 tbsp Red curry paste
- 1 Carrot shaved into ribbons
- 1/2-1 Lime juiced
- 1 tsp Fish sauce
- 8-10 Prawns
- 1/2 Green chili, to top
- Cilantro, to top
- Scallions, to top thinly sliced
- Preheat a big pot or a deep skillet/pan over medium heat with come coconut or olive oil.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chili and yellow onion and let it fry for a few minutes until it starts to get golden brown.
- Add the scallion, eggplant and let it fry for another 2 minutes.
- Now add the red curry paste and stir until it covers all the vegetables. Fry for 1-2 minutes to bring out the flavors. Make sure it doesnt burn.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice. Let it shimmer for 5 minutes.
- Now you can either fry the prawns in a seperate pan (thats what I did). In that case preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with a drizzle of coconut or olive oil.
- Add the prawns to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Otherwise you can also cook the prawns in the coconut milk. In that case add the prawns and let them shimmer in the red curry for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the shaved carrots.
- Serve the curry in two bowls. Top with more scallions, sliced green chili and cilantro.