This warming, flavorful and easy fish and seafood soup is perfect for weekend dinners and so easy so vary and adjust. Use different types of fish and seafood to vary it, add vegetables you have in the fridge and adjust the heat and spices according to your taste.
My mom always made fish and seafood on Saturdays when I was little. During fall and winter we often had different versions of fish & seafood soups. It was aways one of my favorite dishes growing up. So eating fish and seafoods on Saturdays has always been a tradition for me, and it is a tradition that I intend on keeping alive and carrying it forward. This fish and seafood soup is warming, has a lot of flavor but still has a fresh touch to it due to my secret ingredient that I love to add when making fish and seafood soups. The secret ingredients being orange juice and zest. It gives the soup such a lovely freshness and a bit of sweetness that I just find pairs wonderful with the chili, garlic and fennel. For this soup I used four different types of fish and seafood, but you can easily adapt according to what you like and can find in the store. This soup is perfect to serve for a weekend dinner, or make a big batch and use the rest for meal prep or freeze it for those occasions when you want a delicious and healthy meal in no time.
A few tips:
- Make sure to use good quality canned tomatoes for this soup. They are really key here and you want the good quality once that hold a lot of taste and sweetness.
- the amount of chili can be adapted according to taste.
- When you dice the fish, make sure to not cut too big pieces, but neither too small. They should be kind of bites sized.
- Use good quality shrimps. Don’t buy the small and cheaper once. It really makes a huge difference in both taste, textures and overall experience if you use the bigger once.
- Don’t overcook the fish! This truly is KEY! You want a warm and tender fish, but not an overcooked and dry one. So only cook it for about 2-3 minutes. It will continue cooking even after you turn the stove off.
Ingredients for this Fish & Seafood Soup:
- Olive oil
- Fresh red chili
- Tomato paste
- Sweet or regular potatos
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Fish or vegetable stock cube
- White wine (optional)
- Cod fillet
- Salmon fillet
- Peeled shrimps
- Creme fraiche or Aioli
Other recipes you might like:
- Moule Mariniere with Garlic, Chili & Ginger
- Spicy Scallops with Brussel Sprouts & Shiitake
- Baked Cod with Chanterelles & Lingonberries
- Salmon Red Curry (Dairy & Oil Free)
- Japanese Ginger & Lemongrass Soup with Soba Noodles (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Red Curry with Prawns (Low Carb & Dairy Free)
- Red Rice Paella
- Seafood Pasta (Gluten, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
Fish & Seafood Soup
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 2 Shallots finely diced
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2-1 Red chili minced
- 1-2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/4 Leek thinly sliced
- 1/2 Fennel finely diced
- 1-2 Carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 medium Sweet potato or 3-4 regular potatoes diced
- 1 can Canned crushed tomatoes (good quality)
- 1/2 Stock cube (fish or vegetable)
- 1 dl Water
- 1 dl White wine (optional) or more water
- 1/2 Orange juiced
- 1/2 Orange zested
- 1 Cod fillet diced
- 1 Salmon fillet diced
- 500 g Mussels washed and rinsed
- 200 g Peeled shrimps
- 2 tbsp Creme fraiche or ailio (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 200 g Peeled shrimps rinsed
- 3-4 tbsp Fennel shaved
- Fry the shallots, garlic and red chili for a few minute until it starts to get golden brown.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add fennel, leek and carrot and fry for another few minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, white wine (if using), stock cube, orange juice and zest to the pan and stir to combine.
- Taste to check the seasoning and add more salt, pepper, stock cube or orange juice if needed.
- Add the diced cod, salmon and mussels and cover with a lid. Cook for 2-3 minutes, just until the fish is done and the mussels have opened. Don't cook for too long, you don't want the fish to get over cooked.
- Divide the fish soup between two plates, garnish with peeled shrimps, shaved fennel and creme fraiche or aioli (if using).
5 thoughts on “Fish & Seafood Soup”