This spicy tomato soup is a creamy, flavorful and comforting soup that is both easy and quick to make. It’s made mostly using staple ingredients and ready to serve in just 20 minutes. Have this soup for lunch, serve it as an appetizer or main course. It is dairy, gluten, grain free & low carb.
Tomatoes, one of the most refreshing, sweet, juicy and delicious things you can eat during summer. And at the same time the most comforting, cozy and warming thing to cook with during fall and winter. My go to during fall and winter is definitely a tomato based meal, be it a stew, casserole, sauce or soup! This tomato soup is a flavorful and creamy tomato soup rich in flavor, but still not too heavy or overwhelming. It has a bit of heat in it that add a lovely punch to it. The heat can of course be adjusted according to preference and taste, but it really is lovely to addition to this creamy soup. I topped this tomato soup with shrimps due to the delicate, lightly sweet and fresh taste and texture they add, some fresh basil and furikake seasoning. The topping can easily be adapted and varied to serve the purpose of your serving. It only takes 20-30 minutes to make and is made with easy accessible and affordable ingredients. Serve it for lunch, as a starter or main course.
A few tips:
- Since the main ingredient in this recipe are tomatoes and canned tomatoes make sure to use good quality ones that are sweet, flavorful and rich in flavor.
- The amount of chili and chili powder can be adjusted according to taste.
- Use a dry white wine in this soup.
- The red wine can be replaced by about 1-2 tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
- You can mix the soup completely smooth or leave it with some tomato chunks depending on how you prefer it.
- Serve this soup with a piece of grilled bread and Creme Fraiche.
- Other topping ideas: grated parmesan cheese, fried halloumi, crumbled feta cheese, croutons, roasted chickpeas, chives and/or fresh herbs, pesto, mozzarella, dry-roasted seeds to mention a few.
Ingredients for this Spicy Tomato Soup with Shrimps:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Red chili
- Paprika powder
- Chili powder
- Tomato paste
- Canned tomatoes
- Lemon juice
- White wine
- Stock cube
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Roasted Tomato & Bell Pepper Soup (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Avocado Soup with Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Fish Soup
- Salmon Red Curry (Gluten, Dairy & Oil Free)
- Moroccan Chickpea Eggplant Stew (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Spicy Tomato Soup with Shrimps (Dairy, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
For the soup
- 1 Yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2-1 Red chili minced
- 1 tbsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin
- 1/2-1 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp Tomato paste
- 4 big Tomatoes diced
- 1 can Canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 100-150 ml White wine (optional, but recommended)
- 500-700 ml Water
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, to fry
For the topping
- 200 g Shrimps peeled
- Fresh basil leaves
- Furikake or sesame seeds
- Preheat a large pot with some olive oil.
- Add the chopped yellow onion and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red chili, fry for another 30-60 seconds.
- Add the dry spices, stir to combine. Let it all fry for 1 minutes.
- Next add the tomato paste and stir together with the spices and onion, fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, stir to combine.
- Pour the canned tomatoes into the pot along with lemon juice, white wine, water and stock cube. Stir together and let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel and rinse the shrimps.
- Mix the soup smooth of half smooth leaving some chunks left, depending on how you like it.
- Taste the soup, season with salt and pepper (or any other additional spices).
- Divide between bowls, top with shrimps, fresh basil, furikake/sesame seeds. Serve with fresh (roasted) bread and Creme Fraiche (optional).