This recipe is for a warming, flavorful and cozy Roasted Pumpkin Soup. This soup is both easy and relatively quick to make, is made with easy staple ingredients that you most probably already have at home and is ready to serve in about 40 minutes. Serve this warming and flavorful soup for lunch, dinner, as an appetizer or make it for meal prep purpose. It is vegetarian, gluten and grain free, and can easily be made vegan as well.
Nothing beats a good, creamy, warming and flavorful soup during fall and winter. Even more so when it comes with a lovely splash of color and tasty crunchy mini sandwiches on top! And this soup has all of the above! This creamy and cozy roasted pumpkin soup is made with a few key ingredients and requires almost no effort from your end. It is made with roasted pumpkin, which yes takes some extra time to prepare, but is totally worth it. The roasted pumpkin has a lovely sweet, gentle, earthy and caramelized flavor. It is paired with a mix of warming and flavorful spices that makes a lovely contrast to the sweet flavors in the pumpkin and just a bit of coconut milk or cream to make it extra creamy. I chose to serve my soup with these cute, crunchy and incredibly tasty mini sandwiches that are filled with both cream cheese and parmesan. Serve this soup for lunch, dinner, as an appetizer or make it for meal prep purpose.
A few tips:
- You can use any pumpkin of your liking or availability. But I would recommend you to use a sweeter variety.
- Don’t throw away the pumpkin seeds, save them for later and make your own roasted pumpkin seeds.
- You can either peel the pumpkin or leave the peel on. I prefer to leave it on since I think it adds a nice flavor to the soup.
- Cut the pumpkin into smaller pieces, preferably equally sized to make sure they have the same baking time.
- You can use vegetable or chicken stock cube (if non vegetarian).
- You can use coconut milk or cream in the soup.
- Taste the soup after mixing it and add more spices as needed.
- I used a gluten and grain free bread for my sandwiches.
- I used cream cheese and parmesan cheese in my sandwiches. You can choose to use only cream cheese/parmesan or replace the parmesan with any cheese of your liking.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to mix the soup. But be careful not to burn since it is very warm.
- You can prepare the soup in advance. But make sure to prepare the sandwiches just before serving, to make sure they’re freshly fried.
Ingredients for this Roasted Pumpkin Soup:
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Yellow onion
- Ground cumin
- Paprika powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Vegetable or chicken stock cube
- Coconut mul or cream
- Lemon juice
- Black pepper
- Cream cheese
Other recipes you might like:
- Spicy Mango Coconut Curry with Meatballs (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- White Asparagus Soup with Scallops (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Cauliflower, Potato & Leek Soup (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Soup (Vegan, Paleo & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Cauliflower & Broccoli Soup (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Tomato & Bell Pepper Soup (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Avocado Soup with Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Fish Soup
- Salmon Red Curry (Gluten, Dairy & Oil Free)
- Moroccan Chickpea Eggplant Stew (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Roasted Pumpkin Soup (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free)
- 1 kg Pumpkin (preferably a sweeter kind) deseeded and cut into smaller pieces
- A drizzle of Olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 Yellow onion finely diced
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 tsp Ginger
- 1/3 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Vegetable stock cube
- 1/2-1 liter Water
- 1 (2/5) dl (cups) Coconut milk or cream
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
For the topping
- 4 slices Gluten & Grain Free Bread
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat you oven or air fryer to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Deseed the pumpkin and cut into smaller pieces. Place on a baking sheet/in the air fryer basket. Drizzle with olive oil and sea salt, stir to combine. Bake for 30-40 minutes in the oven or 20-30 minutes in the air fryer, or until golden brown and tender.
- Preheat a big pot with some olive oil.
- Add the yellow onion to the hot pot and fry for 2-3 minutes, just until it starts to turn translucent. Add the garlic, stir to combine and fry for another 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the spices, combine with the onion.
- Add the stock cube and water. Bring to a gentle simmer and let it cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Carefully mix the soup using a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk or cream and stir to combine.
- Next add the lemon juice, stir to combine again.
- Taste to check the seasoning, season with salt and pepper according to taste and add more spices as needed. Keep the soup warm on low heat while you prepare the topping.
- Preheat a nonstick with some olive oil.
- Spread cream cheese on all four bread slices. Add shaved/grated parmesan cheese on top and make two sandwiches from the four slices. Slice into smaller sandwiches, about 1*1 cm big. Add to the warm frying pan and fry with a lid on top until golden brown. Then flip and fry until the other side turns golden brown.
- Divide the hot soup between bowls. Top with the fried sandwiches and shaved parmesan cheese on top. Serve immediately.