This recipe is for a creamy, delicious and flavorful Cauliflower, Potato & Leek Soup. This soup is super quick and easy to make and doesn’t require many minutes of your time to prepare. Serve this soup as a starter, main course or make it for meal prep purpose. It is both vegan and gluten free.
I’ve always been a soup person. They are both easy to make, there are endless versions, they are perfect to make out of veggies that are turning old, they don’t require much time or effort from your end, they can easily be made in really big batches and they are both warming and comforting and can be made really healthy if preferred. If your not convinced yet I don’t know how to convince you that soup are one of the greatest foods we have! This is a cauliflower, potato and leek soup that is seasoned with lot of different spices to make it really flavorful and warming. It’s topped with fried mushrooms to add a nice chewiness and umami taste to the soup, dry roasted pistachio nuts for some crunch and fresh parsley. This soup really only takes five minutes to throw together and is both vegan, gluten free and healthy. It is perfect to serve as a starter or main course or to make for meal prep purpose.
A few tips:
- I made my soup vegan, but you can use regular milk/cream if preferred.
- The amount of spices can be adapted according to taste.
- The amount of water, milk/cream can be adapted according to how thick you prefer your soup.
- You can mix the soup completely smooth or leave some chunks depending on how you like it.
- If you want to make this soup nut free you can replace the pistachio nuts with sunflower or pumpkin seeds instead.
Ingredients for this Cauliflower, Potato & Leek Soup:
- Plant based milk or cream
- Vegetable stock cube
- Dry thyme
- Onion powder
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Olive oil
- Button mushrooms
- Pistachio nuts
Other recipes you might like:
- Roasted Cauliflower & Broccoli Soup (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Cauliflower & Mushroom Soup (Vegan, Paleo & Gluten Free)
- Chickpea Curry (Vegetarian)
- Thai Green Curry with Meatballs (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Japanese Ginger & Lemongrass Soup with Soba Noodles (Gluten & Dairy Free)
- Salmon Red Curry (Gluten, Dairy & Oil Free)
- Fish & Seafood Soup
Cauliflower, Potato & Leek Soup (Vegan & Gluten Free)
For the soup
- 1/2 kg Potatoes diced
- 1 medium sized Cauliflower head cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 Leek sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 liter Water (or more if needed)
- 2 dl Plant based milk (or cream if preferred)
- 1 1/2 Vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp Dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice (optional)
- Olive oil, to fry
For the topping
- 4 Button mushrooms sliced
- 10-12 Pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat a big pot with some olive oil.
- When warm, add the minced garlic to the pot and fry for a few minutes. Until golden brown.
- Next add the leek and fry for another minute.
- Add the potatoes and cauliflower and stir together.
- Next add the water, milk, stock cube and all the spices. Stir to combine and let the soup simmer for 25-30 minutes, until all the vegetables are soft.
- When the soup is ready, mix using a hand mixer or add it to a blender and mix until smooth. Keep the soup warm.
- Preheat two nonstick pans over medium heat.
- Sauté the sliced mushrooms in one of the pans with some water in it. And then fry until golden brown when the water has evaporated. You can add some oil or vegan butter if preferred.
- Add the roughly chopped pistachio nuts to the other pan and dry roast until warm and golden brown. (This step can be skipped)
- Pour the soup into bowls. Top with fried mushrooms, pistachio nuts and chopped parsley.