This recipe is for a delicious, fresh and summery Nice Cream with Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote. This recipe only requires a few key ingredients and is really easy to make. Serve it for breakfast, afternoon snack or as a dessert. This nice cream is both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
Dessert for breakfast must be one of the best things ever! Especially when you make it both delicious, nutritious and healthy at the same time. This nice cream bowl with rhubarb and strawberry compote is just that! You have the creamy, cold fresh and sweet nice cream served with a delicious and warm rhubarb and strawberry compote that is topped with cinnamon and sugar fried rhubarb, pistachio nuts and peanut butter. It’s just so wonderful and delicious. I love how the cold and fresh nice cream melts together with the warm compote creating such a wonderful taste combination that just melts in your mouth. This nice cream bowl is really great to serve both for breakfast, as an afternoon snack or for dessert. It is both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
A few tips:
- I recommend you to slice and freeze the bananas the day before making this nice cream bowl. Then it’s really quick and easy to make.
- The amount of milk in the nice cream may vary depending on how big your bananas are and how thick you prefer your nice cream. Start by adding a little milk and then adding more of needed.
- When cooking the rhubarb and strawberry compote start by adding a little stevia sugar and then adding more if you prefer it sweeter.
- You can adjust the thickness of the compote by turning it off when it has reached desired consistency. The longer you cook it the thicker it will get.
- When making the cinnamon and sugar fried rhubarb for the topping make sure to fry the rhubarb on medium high heat. You want the rhubarb to get a little soft, tender and warm but still hold some crunch.
- I really love to serve both the rhubarb and strawberry compote and the fried rhubarb warm. It makes such a lovely combination with the cold and fresh nice cream. But you can serve them cold as well.
Ingredients for this Nice Cream with Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote:
- Plant based milk
- Stevia vanilla drops or vanilla extract
- Stevia granular sugar
- Coconut oil
- Peanut butter
- Pistachio nuts
Other recipes you might like:
- Mango, Peach & Kiwi Smoothie Bowl
- Mango & Galia Melon Smoothie Bowl
- Yogurt with Home Made Plum Compote
- Pink Smoothie Bowl (Vegan, But & Sugar Free)
- Greek Yogurt with Home Made Raspberry Jam & Granola (Gluten & Sugar Free)
Nice Cream with Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the nice cream
- 3 Bananas sliced and frozen
- 1/3 dl Plant based milk (I used almond)
- 3-4 drops Stevia vanilla drops (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
For the rhubarb & strawberry compote
- 2 stems Rhubarb cut into smaller pieces
- 6-8 Strawberries cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2-1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3-4 drops Stevia vanilla drops (or vanilla extract)
- 1/2-1 1/2 tbsp Stevia granular sugar
- 1/2 dl Water
For the topping
- 1/2 stem Rhubarb cut into smaller pieces
- 1/3-1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp Stevia granular sugar
- Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Peanut butter
- Pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Start by slicing and freezing the bananas for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile you can cook the rhubarb and strawberry compote by placing all the ingredients for it in a small pot. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let it shimmer for 15-20 minutes. Shimmer until the water has reduced and you have a quite thick compote. You can vary the thickness by letting it shimmer for different amount of time. Taste to check if more cinnamon, vanilla or sugar is needed. Keep the compote warm or reheat when making the nice cream.
- When the bananas are frozen and ready to make the nice cream preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some coconut oil.
- Add the rhubarb stems, cinnamon and sugar to the pan and let it fry for 6-7 minutes. The rhubarb should soften, get a little browned and warm.
- Meanwhile the rhubarb fries add the ingredients for the nice cream to a high speed blender and mix until smooth. You might need to stop and stir a little in the mixer. Taste to check if more vanilla stevia drops are needed, or if you need to add more milk (depending on how thick you prefer your nice cream).
- Place the nice cream in two bowls. Top with warm rhubarbs and strawberry compote, sugar and cinnamon fried rhubarb, peanut butter, pistachio nuts and more cinnamon (if using).
- Serve immediately.