This is an easy, healthy and delicious recipe for a Vanilla Custard with Rhubarb Compote. This recipe only takes 10 minutes to make and requires a few key ingredients. This recipe is both vegan and sugar free. Serve this vanilla custard with rhubarb compote for breakfast, snack or dessert.
This recipe for a delightful, easy and fresh vanilla custard with rhubarb compote is one of my favorite spring breakfasts or desserts to make. Though out spring when I can find rhubarb in the store I always have a jar of rhubarb compote in my fridge. It can be used for so many different purposes and take just 10 minutes to make. One example if using it for this easy and vegan vanilla custard that is ready to serve in only 10 minutes. This vanilla custard is sugar free, which makes it perfect to serve both for a sweet yet healthy breakfast or snack, but also delicious enough to make for dessert.
A few tips:
- This custard can be made both vegan and non vegan. Just use the cream and milk that you prefer.
- You can also adapt the cream/milk ratio depending on how heavy/light you prefer your custard.
- The amount of corn starch also depends on how thick you like your custard. Start by adding one tablespoon and let the custard thicken, then check if more is needed or not.
- I used vanilla bean in my custard, but you can use vanilla extract or stevia drops as well.
- This custard can be prepared in advance.
- Store the custard in the fridge in a clean jar.
- It’s good to store for up to four days.
Ingredients for this Vanilla Custard with Rhubarb Compote:
- Heavy Cream
- Plant based milk (I used almond)
- Corn starch
- Stevia granular sugar
- Vanilla bean/vanilla extract/vanilla stevia drops
- Rhubarb compote
- Pistachio nuts
Other recipe you might like:
- Cheesecake Tartelette with Cottage Cheese (Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Yogurt with Home Made Plum Compote
- Healthy Apple Crumble Skillet Pie (Vegan. Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Hasselback Apples (Vegan, GLuten & Sugar Free)
Vanilla Custard with Rhubarb Compote (Vegan & Sugar Free)
- 250 ml Vegan heavy cream
- 250 ml Plant based milk (I used almond)
- 1-2 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1-2 tbsp Stevia granular sugar
- 1/2 Vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract or 4-5 vanilla stevia drops)
- 2-3 dl Rhubarb compote
- Pistachio nuts, to top
- Add the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla bean to a small pot and let it get warm on low heat.
- Add the corn starch while stirring constantly making sure there corn starch really incorporates in the cram mixture.
- Keep stirring until the cutard has thickened.
- Divide equally between glasses and top with rhubarb compote and pistachios (if using).