This recipe is for an easy, delicious and healthy Rhubarb & Cardamom Breakfast Cake. This cake only calls for a few easy ingredients and takes five minutes to whisk together. Serve this rhubarb and cardamom breakfast cake for breakfast, eat it as an afternoon snack or serve it for dessert. Because even though it is made as a breakfast cake it is delicious enough to have both as an afternoon snack or dessert. This cake is both gluten, oil and sugar free.
I love making breakfast cakes using seasonal fruits. It’s a delicious and easy way to make sure you get an extra occasion to indulge in them. This cake is both quick and easy to make, having oat flour and oats as the main ingredient. It is baked without any butter or oil to keep it healthier and lower. But don’t get fooled, this cake is still incredibly moist, tender and flavorful, since it is baked with greek yogurt/quark and apple sauce. Greek yogurt and apple sauce provide moist to the cake, making it everything butt dry. The yogurt also add a wonderful fresh and slightly tangy flavor while the apple sauce (of course depending on which apples it’s made of) add a sweetness to the cake. This cake is easy to bake in larger amounts and ready to serve in only 25 minutes. It is great to eat just as it is or to add your favorite topping.
A few tips:
- You can make the rhubarb compote in advance.
- I used this recipe for the rhubarb compote.
- Do not over mix the batter. Mix just until combined.
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes before serving it.
- You can eat the cake just as it is or top it with different toppings depending on when you’re eating it. A few ideas: top with greek yogurt, fiber syrup, nut butter when you’re having it for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. Add ice cream, chopped nuts, whipped cream if serving it for dessert.
Ingredients for this Rhubarb & Cardamom Breakfast Cake:
- Oat flour
- Greek yogurt or quark
- Apple sauce
- Stevia vanilla drops
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar free sweetener
- Rhubarb Compote
Other recipes you might like:
- Cottage Cheese & Yogurt Soufflé (Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Cookie Dough Nice Cream (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Baked Oats (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Breakfast Apple Pie (Gluten, Nut, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Scrambled Sweet Potato Pancakes (Gluten, Dairy & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Protein Mug Cake (Gluten, Sugar & Dairy Free)
- Porridge Waffles Two Ways (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Dutch Baby with Pears (Gluten, Dairy & Refined Sugar Free)
- Banana Dutch Baby (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Cheesecake Tartlet (Gluten, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Zucchini Banana Muffins (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Cardamom & Berry Baked Oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Pancake Popovers (Gluten, Sugar & Dairy Free)
- Oven Baked Banana Pancake (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Sugar & Oil Free)
- No Bake Toffee Mini Cheesecakes (Gluten, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Oat Flour Dutch Baby with Yogurt & Fresh Berries (Gluten & Sugar Free)
Rhubarb & Cardamom Breakfast Cake (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- 1 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Oats
- 1 Egg
- 1 dl Greek yogurt or quark
- 2 tbsp Apple sauce
- 4-5 drops Stevia vanilla drops
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 2-4 tbsp Granulated sugar free sweetener
- 1/2-3/4 tsp Cardamom
- 3 tbsp Rhubarb compote (see note 1 for recipe)
- Greek yogurt
- Nut butter
- Fiber syrup/agave/honey
- Ice cream
- If you don't have the rhubarb compote ready start by making it. Takes about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200. degrees Celcius.
- Combine oat flour, oats, baking powder and cardamom in a bowl.
- Whisk together egg and sweetener in a bowl. Add the yogurt/quark and apple sauce and mix until incorporated and you have a smooth batter.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir/mix just until combined.
- Pour into a small oven safe bowl.
- Made a whole in the middle using a spoon and add rhubarb compote.
- Bake in the oven for 20-23 minutes.
- Eat as is or top with topping of your choice.