This is a recipe for a delicious, fresh and summery Roasted Rhubarb Soup. This soup is made with a few key ingredients and is both quick and easy to make. Serve this roasted rhubarb soup for breakfast, as an afternoon snack or dessert. The soup is vegan, but this dish is vegetarian, gluten, grain, sugar free and low carb.
Almost nothing screams summer as much as rhubarb does! Its truly one of my favorite summer fruits (or actually it’s a vegetables) and I try to indulge as much as I can. Rhubarb is such a versatile and interesting ingredient that can be paired with lots of different tastes and used in both sweet and savory recipes. This soup is made with lemon roasted rhubarb that later on is cooked with vanilla, hence having both a fresh and zesty taste but at the same time a warm and sweet flavor. It is topped with whipped fresh ricotta, dry roasted and roughly chopped almonds, whole baked rhubarb stems and fresh basil. The topping can of course be adapted and varied depending on when and how you are serving it. Because this soup is great to have both for breakfast, as an afternoon snack or make for dessert. It can be served both warm and cold, it’s delicious both ways. This soup is vegan, gluten, grain, sugar free and low carb, but since I used ricotta for serving this version is not vegan. But you can easily swap the ricotta for vegan options.
A few tips:
- Cut the rhubarb into equally sized stems to make sure the baking time is approximately the same for all of them.
- Bake the rhubarb until tender and softened, but not over baked. It should still be firm and not fall apart.
- The amount of water can vary a bit depending on how thick your rhubarb is and how thick/thin you prefer your soup.
- Remember to set 4-6 rhubarb stems aside for serving.
- This soup can be served both for breakfast, as an afternoon snack or dessert.
- I topped my soup with whipped ricotta, almonds and fresh basil. But you can vary the topping by using greek yogurt, coconut cream, ice cream, whipped cream, vanilla custard, milk, different nuts or seeds, add roasted cake crumbs on top, sliced strawberries to mention a few.
- This soup can be served both warm and cold.
Ingredients for this Roasted Rhubarb Soup:
- Xylitol (granulated sweetener)
- Vanilla powder
- Slivered almonds
- Fresh basil
Other recipes you might like:
- Rhubarb & Cardamom Breakfast Cake (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Vanilla Porridge with Rhubarb (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Nice Cream with Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Rhubarb & Vanilla Muffins with Cream Cheese (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Rhubarb & Cardamom Cake (Gluten, Dairy, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Strawberry & Mascarpone Dessert with Elderflower (Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Watermelon & Strawberry Gazpacho (Vegan, Gluten, Grain & Sugar Free)
- Rhubarb Strawberry Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Vanilla Custard with Rhubarb Compote (Vegan & Sugar Free)
Roasted Rhubarb Soup (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- 4 Rhubarb stems cut into 3-4 cm long pieces
- 1/2 Lemon zested
- 1/4 Lemon juiced
- 2-3 tbsp Xylitol (more if needed after mixing the soup)
- 2 dl Water
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla powder
- 1 dl Ricotta
- 2-3 tbsp Slivered almonds
- 4-5 Almonds roughly chopped
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the rhubarb into 3-4 cm long pieces. Place in an oven safe baking pan.
- Drizzle with lemon juice, grate some lemon zest and sprinkle the granulated sweetener. Stir to combine. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until tender and a bit caramelized. The rhubarb should be tender, yet still firm and not soggy.
- When the rhubarb is ready take it out from the oven, save 4-6 pieces for serving.
- Place the rest of the roasted rhubarb stems in a pot, add about 2 dl of water and vanilla powder. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile add the ricotta to a bowl and mix using an electric balloon whisk until fluffy and smooth. Place in the fridge.
- Mix the rhubarb and water using a hand mixer until you have a smooth textured cream/soup. Place back on the stove for a few minutes. Add more water if needed. Taste to check if more sugar or vanilla is neded.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat. When the pan it hot add the slivered almonds and dry roast until golden brown. Make sure to stir regularly and keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
- Divide the soup between bowls, top with whipped ricotta, dry roasted almonds, roughly chopped almonds, rhubarb stems and fresh basil.