This is a super delicious, tasty and easy recipe for Smashed Potatoes with Pesto & Two Cheeses. This recipe only calls for a few ingredients and is ready to serve in 30 minutes. This dish is great to serve as a side dish that pairs great with just about everything. It is vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
Smashed potatoes… might just be the best way of making potatoes if you ask me! If you love a creamy soft potato mash, but you also love a perfectly crunchy roasted potato, smashed potatoes is definitely something you need to make. They’re truly a hybrid of the loveliest potato mash and the best crispy roasted potatoes combined in one! Can it get any better? Hmm, well, yes! If you serve them with some peppery arugula, creamy pesto and flavorful cheeses (that’s correct, not cheese, but cheeses) and crunchy pistachio nuts on top! This dish is a perfect mix of tastes, textures and flavors and at the same time so easy to make. It is great to serve as a side dish to both meat, sausage, chicken, fish, halloumi or some grilled vegetables. This dish is both vegan, gluten and grain free.
A few tips:
- I used almond potatoes for this dish. You can use any potatoes that you like or have at home.
- Try to use equally sized potatoes to make sure the cooking time is the same for all of them.
- Boil the potatoes until almost soft, but still not completely ready to eat.
- The potatoes can be baked both in the oven or in an air fryer. The baking time will vary a little, since the potatoes get ready a little faster in the air fryer than the oven.
- Mash the potatoes using a glass, fork or potato masher. Press down on the potatoes until a bit flattened. Don’t press all the way down.
- I only used a tiny bit of oil, about half a tablespoon, since I don’t like the potatoes to get too greasy. They turn out crunchy and golden brown anyways.
- I topped my potatoes with two different cheeses; gruyere and pecorino. But you can choose your favorite cheeses and mix and match just as you like. But I would recommend you to use flavorful and stronger cheeses. The amount of cheese it up to you!
Ingredients for these Smashed Potatoes with Pesto & Two Cheeses:
- Cheese (I used gruyere)
- Pistachio nuts
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
Other recipes you might like:
- Roasted Sweet Potato Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Potatoes with Whipped Feta Cheese & Basil Sauce (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Baked Sweet Potato Halves with Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Roasted Potato Roses (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Sweet Potato & Beet Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Smashed Potatoes with Creme Fraiche & Fish Roe (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Summer Salad with Sweet Potatoes & Fried Peach (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Potato Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette (Vegan, Gluten, Dairy & Oil Free)
Smashed Potatoes with Pesto & Two Cheeses (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- 500 g Potatoes (I used almond potatoes, you can use any kind you like)
- 2-3 tbsp Pesto
- Gruyere, to taste grated
- Pecorino, to taste grated
- 6-7 Pistachio nuts roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Bring water to a boil in a big pot.
- Wash the potatoes.
- Add potatoes and salt to the pot and let it boil on low heat until almost soft but still not ready to eat (this will vary depending on the potato size and variety, 15-20 min).
- Preheat the oven or air fryer to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Drain the potatoes and place on a parchment covered baking sheet if baking in the oven, or on a cutting board if making them in the air fryer.
- Gently press down on the potatoes using a fork, glass or potato masher until they are a bit flattened.
- Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes or 10-12 minutes in the air fryer, until soft, golden brown and crispy.
- Place the potatoes together with some arugula in a bowl.
- Drizzle with pesto all over, grate the cheese and top with chopped pistachio nuts.