This is a delicious and easy recipe for Halloumi & Sweet Potato Package. This dish only requires three key ingredients and 20 minutes to make. This dish is perfect to serve as a main course or as a side dish to your main course. This recipe is both vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
This sweet potato and halloumi package is an easy and super delicious dish that is perfect to serve either on its own, as a side dish or together with your favorite protein. I love everything about this dish! It is so easy and simple, yet very tasty and flavorful. Both the textures and flavors combine so well in this dish and makes it well balance. You have the warm, sweet and creamy sweet potatoes that still hold just a little bit of chewing resistance combined with the warm, salty and crunchy halloumi that still is a bit springy but creamy and soft on the inside. And to add some freshness to the dish I added zucchini that feels fresh, yet have a lovely fried surface and soft feeling in the mouth. I topped it with some fresh basil and a drizzle of lemon juice on top. This dish is really so lovely and perfect on its own if you want an easy vegetarian meal. But also great to serve as a side dish or along with your favorite protein. It’s ready in only 20 minutes and only require three main ingredients.
A few tips:
- I made this dish in the oven and using a frying pan. But this dish would be perfect to make using the grill as well.
- I used both purple and orange sweet potatoes, but you can use any sweet potato you like or have at home.
- When baking the sweet potatoes, I like to bake them until soft and creamy but still not fully cooked though.
- The halloumi should be fried on medium/high heat so that it gets fry marks and becomes warm and soft. Don’t fry it on too low heat, that will make it almost melt but without getting any fry marks or a nice surface.
- I love to just fry the zucchini for 30 seconds or so on really high heat. I love it when it just gets some fry marks but still is a bit crunchy and not too soft or soggy.
- I drizzled some lemon juice on top to add some freshness, but that is optional.
Ingredients for Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack:
- Purple sweet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Sea salt
Other recipes you might like:
- Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Grilled Vegetable Bites with Mozzarella & Pesto (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Grilled Aubergine & Zucchini with Hazelnut Pesto & Ricotta (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
- Grilled Aubergine with Roasted Garlic & Lemon Sauce (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Shaved Carrot Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- 1 Purple sweet potato sliced lengthwise
- 1 Sweet potato sliced lenghtwise
- 1 package Halloumi sliced
- 1/2 Zucchini thinly sliced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Basil, to top
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Brush the sweet potatoes with some olive oil (optional, I did not use oil) and season with sea salt.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until soft and golden brown.
- When about 6-7 minutes reamin for the sweet potatoes to get ready preheat two nonstick pans over medium heat.
- Place the sliced halloumi in one of the pans and fry the halloumi for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- When about 1 minute remains for the halloumi to be ready add the zucchini to the other nonstick pan and fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute so on each side. Just until golden brown.
- Prepeare two plates and place one slice of the sweet potato on each plate. Then add zucchini on top and repeat until you have layered all the sweet potato slices and zucchini. Top with fried halloumi, fresh lemon juice (if using) and fresh basil and serve immediately.