This is a quick, tasty, flavorful and fresh recipe for Roasted Point Cabbage with Miso & Soy Sauce. This dish is very simple to make, including just a hand full of ingredients, almost no effort from your end and ready to serve in 30 minutes. Serve this roasted point cabbage as a main course with some rice or cauliflower purée or as a side dish to your main course. This dish is both vegan, gluten, grain, dairy free and low carb.
Cabbage is a lovely staple that is easy to include in cooking, can be prepared in so many different ways and is both wallet friendly, healthy and nutritious. If you want to eat more vegetarian or vegan food but also want to keep down the cost cabbage is great to experiment with. This dish is made with point cabbage that is roasted in the oven with a lovely miso and soy sauce, topped with chili flakes and crispy scallion. The sauce is made with white miso, which has a sweet and slightly salty taste but also adds that wonderful umami flavor and a creamy texture to the sauce. I used tamari in my sauce to make it gluten free, you can also use soy sauce. The soy sauce provides a rich salty, sweet and umami flavor, not to forget the wonderful dark color. There is some fresh ginger with a pungent, warm and spicy taste. To break off all of these intense flavors a little rice vinegar with acid notes and agave/fiber syrup with a rich, creamy and sweet taste is added to balance up the saltiness. It is a wonderful mix of warm point cabbage with a tender inside and crunchy edges, a rich, flavorful, sauce with clear umami and slightly sweet flavors with hot chili flakes and crispy scallion on top. Serve this dish as a side dish along with your main course or eat it as a main dish with some rice/cauliflower rice, potato/cauliflower purée or a fresh yogurt dressing. This dish is vegan, gluten, grain, dairy free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Cut the point cabbage into equally sized halves/wedges to make sure the baking time is the same for all parts.
- Check on the cabbage to make sure it doesn’t burn in the oven. If it starts to turn too brown cover it with aluminum foil and keep on baking.
- The amount of ginger in the sauce can be adapted according to taste.
- Pour half of the miso and soy sauce when the cabbage is almost done and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Make sure to save some of the sauce for serving.
- The cabbage should be soft and tender on the inside with lovely crunchy edges on the outside when done.
Ingredients for this Roasted Point Cabbage with Miso & Soy Sauce:
- White miso paste
- Tamari or soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Lime juice
- Fiber syrup or agave
- Fresh ginger
- Point cabbage
- Chili flakes
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Roasted Cabbage On A Tahini Yogurt Dressing
- Harissa & Honey Roasted Eggplant with Hummus (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Agave Roasted Point Cabbage with Hummus (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Glazed Point Cabbage with Spicy Dressing (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Grill Platter (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Grilled Aubergine & Zucchini with Hazelnut Pesto & RIcotta (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Grilled Mini Aubergines with Herb Gremolata (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak with Chanterelles (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Baked Sweet Potato Halves with Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Cauliflower Steak with Warm Tomatoes (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Eggplant with Baked Tomatoes & Tomato Ajvar Sauce (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
Roasted Point Cabbage with Miso & Soy Sauce (Vegan, Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
For the miso soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Miso
- 2 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Lime juice
- 1 tsp Fiber syrup or agave
- 1 tsp Fresh ginger grated
For the cabbage
- 1 medium Point cabbage cut in half or into wedges
- 1/2 tsp Chili flakes lightly crushed
- 1 Scallion (both white and green part) thinly sliced
- A little Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the point cabbage in half or into quarters. Place on a parchment covered baking sheet. Brush with some olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes. Check to make sure the cabbage doesn't burn.
- Meanwhile combine the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl.
- Remove cabbage from the oven and pour about half of the sauce over the wedges/halves. Return to oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the cabbage is tender and the sauce has caramelized slightly.
- Remove from the oven, place on plates, top with chili flakes and scallion. Serve with the remaining miso soy sauce on the side.