This recipe is for small and delicious Grilled Mini Aubergines with Herb Gremolata. These mini aubergines come together in 15 minutes and require a hand full of ingredients. They are perfect to serve as small finger foods, appetizers, side dish or to include in a sharing dinner. These grilled mini aubergines are both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Aubergines are one of my favorite vegetables, and during summer I especially love mini aubergines. Not only are they so cute and pretty, they’re also more juicy than the big once. And they for sure are more presentable to serve when cut compared to the big once. These grilled mini aubergines are topped with a herb gremolata made with parsley, cilantro and basil, but you can really use any herbs you like and have at home. But I really love to mix a few different once since it makes the gremolata more flavorful and fun. As you might know Im not the biggest fan of olive oil, hence the recipe for this gremolata does not include much olive oil. But if you prefer it more oily you can just go ahead and add olive oil according to taste. They are then topped with ricotta salata which is a dry, firm and salty cheese that is ideal for slicing, crumbling and grating, hence it is nothing like a regular ricotta. It can be hard to find in regular stores, so I would recommend you to try a cheese store or a store with a big cheese assortment. And if you can’t find it you can sub it for pecorino or parmesan instead. These grilled mini aubergines are perfect to serve as finger food, appetizers, side dish or to include in a sharing dinner. They are both vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Use a grill or grill pan when frying the aubergines, but make sure they don’t burn. They should get grill marks and get soft and tender.
- I used parsley, cilantro and basil for making this gremolata, but you can use any herbs you have at hand or like.
- This recipe does not use much olive oil in the gremolata since Im not a fan of oily food. But if you prefer more olive oil then just go ahead and add it according to taste.
- If the gremolata needs to be thinned use more olive oil or some water.
- If you can’t find ricotta salata in the store you can swap it for pecorino or parmesan cheese instead.
Ingredients for these Grilled Mini Aubergines with Herb Gremolata:
- Mini aubergines
- Mixed herbs (I used parsley, cilantro and basil)
- Olive oil
- Water (if needed)
- Sea salt
- Ricotta salata
Other recipes you might like:
- Grilled Artichokes with Lemon & Caper Dip
- Aubergines Rolls with Spiced Cauliflower CousCous Salad (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Pimientos De Pandron with Vegan Cheese Dip (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Grilled Vegetable Bites with Mozzarella & Pesto (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Zucchini Rolls with Ricotta & Prosciutto (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Harissa Honey Roasted Eggplants with Hummus (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Point Cabbage with Hummus (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Eggplant with Baked Tomatoes & Tomato Ajvar Sauce (vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
Grilled Mini Aubergines with Herb Gremolata (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 6 Mini aubergines cut into half lengthwise
- 2 dl Mixed herbs (I used parsley, cilantro, basil) finely chopped
- 1-2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Lemon zest
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil
- Water, to thin if needed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ricotta salata, to taste shaved
- Preheat the grill or a grill pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthwise and place with the cut side facing down the grill pan.
- Grill for 6-12 minutees, until grillmarks start to appear and they are soft and tender.
- Meanwhile combine the rest of the ingredients except for the ricotta salata in a bowl. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed or it needs to be thinned with some water.
- When the aubergines are ready place them on a plate and top with the herb gremolata and shaved ricotta salata.