This recipe is for tender roasted eggplants served with a fresh and creamy burrata, fresh yet pungent pesto and crunchy roasted seeds. It is really easy to make, only calling for a few key ingredients. Serve these roasted eggplants as a main course or side dish. They are vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Eggplants are one of my favorite vegetables to use when I want to make a vegetarian or vegan dish that has a bit of a “meaty” feeling to it. They are versatile, can be prepared in several different ways and go well with all sorts of flavors and seasonings. Make them smooth and creamy, soft and tender or crispy depending on what you’re cooking. This dish has a base of tender roasted eggplants served with fresh, cold and creamy burrata, herby, pungent, fresh yet salty and nutty pesto and crunchy dry roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds. This dish is great to serve both as a main or side dish. This roasted eggplant dish is easy to make, only require a hand full of ingredients and taste amazing. It is vegetarian, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Use equally sized eggplants to assure they have the same baking time.
- I really recommend you to salt the eggplants for 30-60 minutes before baking them in the oven. This prevents them from turning out soggy, bitter and makes them more tender.
- If salting the eggplants before baking them make sure to remove as much excess water as possible and dry path them well before placing them in the oven.
- The baking time will vary depending on how larger/thick your eggplants are. They are done when they start to look golden brown and have collapsed slightly.
- Use good quality burrata to make sure it is creamy and fresh.
- If you can’t find burrata you can also use buffalo mozzarella or regular mozzarella, but buy the good quality ones to make sure it is creamy and fresh.
- You can use any kind of pesto that you like or have at home.
- I prefer roasting the pumpkin and sunflower seeds, you can however use unroasted ones as well.
Ingredients for these Roasted Eggplant with Burrata & Pesto:
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Fresh basil
Other recipes you might like:
- Grilled Aubergine & Zucchini with Hazelnut Pesto & Ricotta (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Grilled Mini Aubergines with Herb Gremolata (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Point Cabbage with Scallion Salsa (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Harissa & Honey Roasted Eggplant with Hummus (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Halloumi & Sweet Potato Stack (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Eggplant with Baked Tomatoes & Tomato Ajvar Sauce (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Grilled Halloumi & Eggplant Bites with Chimichurri (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Honey Roasted Carrots with Mint Cauliflower Purée (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Cauliflower Steak with Warm Tomatoes (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Beetroot Patties with Goat Cheese Cream (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Roasted Eggplant/Aubergine with Lentils & Feta Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- Red Bell Pepper Hummus with Cauliflower Steak & Mediterranean Topping (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Agave Roasted Point cabbage with Hummus (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers (Vegan & Gluten Free)
Roasted Eggplant with Burrata & Pesto (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 2 Eggplants cut in half lengthwise
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 4 Burrata
- 4-5 tbsp Pesto
- 3 tbsp Sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
- Fresh basil, to top thinly sliced
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Add salt on top and let them sit for 30-60 minutes (optional, but I prefer to not skip this step).
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius or air fryer to 185 degrees Celsius.
- Rinse the eggplants thoroughly under water making sure all of the salt is removed (skip this step if didn't salt the eggplants).
- Brush with olive oil on the cut side. Sprinkle some sea salt on top.
- Place on a parchment covered baking pan with the cut side facing down.
- Bake in the oven on 200 degrees Celsius for 30-40 minutes or 20-25 minutes in the air fryer (this time will vary depending on the size of your eggplants). The eggplants should be soft all the way though.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the seeds to the hot pan and dry roast until golden brown (optional but highly recommended).
- When the eggplants are ready, remove from the oven. Top each slice with a burrata, pesto, dry roasted seeds and fresh thinly sliced basil.
- Serve immediately.