This recipe is for tender, moist and incredibly delicious Mini Rhubarb Muffins Loaves. This is a simple and easy recipe only including a few easy ingredients. The batter is ready in only 10 minutes and these rhubarb muffin loaves are ready to serve in about 30 minutes. They are great to have as an afternoon snack or dessert. But can also be served for breakfast since they’re gluten, oil and sugar free, baked with healthier ingredients.
Muffins are one of my favorite desserts to make. I mean who doesn’t love a cute and adorable little muffin?! They’re great to make for dessert, include as part of a dessert buffet, serve as sweet finger food at a party or just bring along as a snack on a regular day. Lately mini muffins loaves have become my new favorite form of baking muffins. They just look so adorable and fancy which makes them even more fun to eat. These mini rhubarb muffins loafs are made with simple, easy and healthy ingredients. You have a tender and moist cake, with a thin yet delicious gooey cake layer topped with fresh pieces of rhubarb, cardamom and slivered almonds. These rhubarb mini muffins loaves are a lovely mix of sweet, tart, tender, moist and gooey with a bit of crunch. They are gluten, oil and sugar free.
A few tips:
- I using a mini bread/muffin loaf pan for this recipe. I grease them with coconut oil. You can use butter or any oil of your liking to grease the muffins tins.
- You can also line the muffin tins using parchment paper if preferred.
- If you don’t have a mini muffin/bread loaf tin you can of course bake these muffins in regular muffin tins. The baking time might reduce with a few minutes depending on how big your muffin tins are.
- Don’t cut the rhubarb into too big pieces, nor too small. You want to clearly feel and taste the rhubarb, but you don’t want ending up with a too large piece either. You want a perfect combo of cake and rhubarb in each piece. Hence I would recommend you to cut them into 1/2-1 cm think pieces.
- Divide the muffin batter between muffins mini loaf tins or regular muffin tins, filling them about 3/4 of the way up. Divide the diced rhubarb between the tins, then end by dividing the small cake batter on top and sprinkle slivered almonds on top.
- After baking let them cool for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the tins, then let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar just before serving (optional).
Ingredients for these Mini Rhubarb Muffin Loaves:
- Granulated sugar free sweetener
- Sugar free brown sugar
- Quark or yogurt
- Milk (plant based or regular)
- Oat flour
- Rice flour
- Potato starch
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Slivered almonds
Other recipes you might like:
- Rhubarb Cardamom Cake (Gluten, Dairy, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Rhubarb Vanilla Muffins with Cream Cheese /Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Blueberry Poppy Seed Muffins (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries & Cream Cheese Frosting (Vegan, Gluten & Refined sugar Free)
- Apple Ricotta Cake (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Zucchini Banana Muffins (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Peach & Almond Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Peach & Raspberry Mini Poes with Yogurt Filling (Gluten, Grain, Oil, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Rhubarb, Strawberry & Vanilla Custard Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Red velvet Cream Cheese Frosting (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Mini Rhubarb Muffin Loaves (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 (0.6) dl (cups) Sugar free granulated sweetener
- 2/3 (1/3) dl (cups) Sugar free brown sugar
- 1 (2/5) dl (cups) Applesauce
- 2 tbsp Yogurt or quark
- 1 (2/5) dl (cups) Milk (plant based or regular)
- 5-6 drops Stevia vanilla drops
- 1 1/5 (3/5) dl (cups) Oat flour
- 4/5 (1/3) dl (cups) Rice flour
- 1 tbsp Potato starch
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 stalks Rhubarb cut into smaller pieces
For the top cake layer
- 2 1/2 tbsp From above egg and sugar mixture (more details below in the instruction)
- 4 tbsp Applesauce
- 2 tbsp Sugar free granulated sweetener
- 3 tbsp Sugar free brown sugar
- 4 tbsp Milk (plant based or regular)
- 6 tbsp Rice flour
- A pinch of Salt
For the topping
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom seeds pestled in a mortar
- Slivered almonds (optional)
- Sugar free powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Mortar the cardamom pods slightly, until you have broken them up into smaller pieces. No need to grind them into very fine powder. Set aside for later.
- Cut the rhubarb into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Combine oat flour, rice flour, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Grease a mini muffin/bread loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- Add eggs and 2 tbsp of brown sugar to a bowl. Whisk just until slightly fluffy and combined (don't mix too much or until it becomes very fluffy). Remove 2 1/2 tablespoons of the egg and sugar mixture and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Add the remaining brown sugar, sugar free granulated sugar, applesauce, yogurt/quark and milk to the batter and whisk until combined and smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and stir until combined.
- Divide the batter between the greased/lined muffin tins.
- Take the bowl with the set aside egg and sugar mixture and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Spread the batter over the muffins (don't need to look perfect or cover all parts). Top with the diced rhubarb, slivered almonds and cardamom.
- Place the muffin tins in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted tooth stick comes out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven. Let them cool for 10-15 minutes, then remove gently from the muffin tins and place on a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar on top just before serving (optional).