This recipe is for rich, tender and incredibly delicious Chocolate Cupcakes with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries & Cream Cheese Frosting. These cupcakes are very easy and quick to make, even though you have three different parts to prepare. They are made with easy accessible ingredients and only take 30 minutes to prepare (not counting the resting time). Make them for a rich yet delicate and delicious dessert, for a birthday party or Valentine’s Day. These cupcakes are both vegan, gluten and refined sugar free.
Chocolate and strawberries are an iconic combination that is hard to beat. But why just make it plain chocolate and strawberry when you can upgrade it by making it even more flavorful, interesting and delicious by making these chocolate cupcakes that are filled with balsamic roasted strawberries and topped with a tangy yet fresh cream cheese frosting?! These cupcakes might just be the most delicious thing I’ve ever baked! You have tender, rich and intense chocolate cupcakes. You have the intense and very flavorful sweet yet a little tangy balsamic roasted strawberries. They make the most delicious contrast to the rich chocolate cupcakes and will make people wonder what that interesting secrets ingredient is. And last but not least you have the tangy yet fresh cream cheese frosting, that literally is icing on the cake. The frosting is made with cream cheese, but also a little Greek yogurt to add a fresh yet little sour taste to the frosting. These cupcakes are perfect to make for a birthday party, dessert or why not Valentine’s Day? They are both vegan, gluten and refined sugar free.
A few tips:
- These cupcakes are vegan but you can also make them using regular cream cheese and Greek yogurt if preferred.
- The apple sauce in these cupcakes can be replaced by more coconut oil.
- Make sure to let the cupcakes cool completely before making wholes for the strawberry filling for them.
- Also let the balsamic roasted strawberries cool before filling the cupcakes.
- Store the cream cheese frosting in the fridge until ready to pipe.
- The amount of sugar for the roasted strawberries can be adjusted according to taste.
- Make sure to stir regularly while the strawberries cook to avoid them burning or sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- If needed add a little bit of water or more balsamic vinegar if needed while cooking the strawberries.
- Save the cupcakes parts that you scoop out for other use. You can freeze them and make bliss balls, use them as topping on other desserts or make cakesicles out of them.
Ingredients for these Chocolate Cupcakes with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries & Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Oat flour
- Corn flour
- Cacao powder
- Baking soda
- Plant based milk
- Coconut oil
- Apple sauce (optional)
- Coconut sugar
- Fiber syrup or agave
- Vanilla extract
- Balsamic vinegar
- Vegan cream cheese
- Vegan greek yogurt
- Sugar free icing sugar
Other recipes you might like:
- Chocolate Protein Mug Cake (Gluten, Sugar & Dairy Free)
- Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten, Sugar & Dairy Free)
- Red Velvet Chickpea Brownies (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Mulled Wine Mini Cake with Cranberry Jam (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Covered Brownie Cakesicles (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Zucchini Chocolate Cake (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Fudgy Black Bean Cherry Brownies (Vegan, Gluten, Sugar & Oil Free)
- Chocolate Merengue Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Covered Funfetti Cakesicles (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Lava Cake (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Chocolate Cupcakes with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries & Cream Cheese Frosting (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
For the chocolate cupcakes
- 3 dl Oat flour
- 1/2 dl Corn flour
- 1 1/2 dl Cacao powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 2 dl Plant based milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 dl Water
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tbsp Apple sauce (or more coconut oil)
- 1/2 dl Xylitol
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp Fiber syrup or agave
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
For the balsamic roasted strawberries
- 3 dl Strawberries chopped
- 1-1 1/2 dl Xylitol (depending on how sweet you prefer them)
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
For the cream cheese frosting
- 150 g Vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 dl Vegan Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar free icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a muffins pan or prepare muffins tins or silicon muffin tins. This recipe makes 8-10 cupcakes depending on how large tins you use.
- Combine oat flour, corn flour, cacao powder, baking soda, salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl add milk, water, melted coconut oil and apple sauce (or more coconut oil) and whisk using an electric whisk until combined and a little fluffy.
- Add the xylitol, coconut sugar, fiber syrup or agave and vanilla extract and whisk again until you have a smooth and a little fluffy mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until combined. Don't whisk for too long.
- Divide the batter equally between the muffin tins.
- Bake in the oven for 15-19 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the strawberries, xylitol and balsamic vinegar to a small pot and let it simmer until it has reduced and thickened. Stir regularly and add a bit of water or more balsamic vinegar if needed. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Add the cream cheese, Greek yogurt (or more cream cheese) and icing sugar and whisk until you have a smooth and fluffy frosting. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- When the cupcakes are done, take them out of the oven and let them cool completely.
- When they have cooled take a small spoon or a melon baller and carefully a small hole into the top of each cupcake, making sure not to cut through the bottom or any of the sides. Save the cupcake pieces for other use (see note 1), don't throw them away.
- Add about 1-2 tsp of the balsamic roasted strawberry filling to each cupcake.
- Using a piping bag top the cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting.
4 thoughts on “Chocolate Cupcakes with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries & Cream Cheese Frosting (Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)”