This recipe is for easy and delicious Sweet Potato Flatbread Pizza with Beetroot Pesto & Blue Cheese. This recipe is made with a few staple ingredients, takes some time to prepare, but is still easy to make and is totally worth it! Serve these mini sweet potato flatbread pizzas as an appetizer, finger food or starter. They are gluten free.
I love a good home made pizza! But to be honest, Im usually too lazy to make a real pizza crust. Especially since I think that flatbread pizzas are super delicious and works perfectly as well. So I leave the real pizza crust for very special occasions… like once a year. Anyways, flatbread pizzas can be made in so many ways, using so many different flours and ingredients. This flatbread pizza is made with only two key ingredients – sweet potatoes and oat flour. This flatbread pizza crust is crunchy on the outside and softish on the inside (also depending on how long you fry it). The hardest part is waiting for the sweet potato to get ready in the oven, after that the crust comes together in only five minutes. These sweet potato flatbread pizzas are topped with home made roasted beetroot pesto. The pesto also takes some time to prepare, but is still very easy to make. You just need to pre-roast the beets and then the pesto is ready in 1-2 minutes. To top these mini pizzas I added some blue cheese to add a salty touch and puny flavor that makes a lovely contrast to the gentle and sweetish flavors from the sweet potatoes and beetroots. Then I topped it off with some dry roasted hazelnuts for some crunchy and to add some more nutty flavor. Serve these mini sweet potato flatbread pizzas as appetizers, finger food or starters. They are gluten free.
A few tips:
- I would recommend you to roast/oven bake the beets and sweet potatoes in advance. Then these mini pizzas come together in only 10 minutes.
- Start by adding a little bit of flour and then add more as needed. The dough should not be too sticky and easy to form. But don’t add too much flour, then it might become dry.
- Here is the recipe for the beetroot pesto. The pesto is made with parmesan cheese, which makes it non-vegetarian. But if you want a vegetarian pesto then just use any flavorful and aged cheese that you like or have at home.
- Use warm grill pan when making the flatbread pizza. But don’t have it on too high heat so that the outside burns and the inside still is cold and feels raw. So grill the mini pizzas on medium heat.
- You can use any blue cheese that you like or have at home.
- Drizzling the mini pizzas with agave, fiber syrup or honey is optional but recommended.
Ingredients for these Sweet Potato Pizzas with Beetroot Pesto & Blue Cheese:
- Sweet potato
- Oat flour
- Beetroot Pesto
- Blue cheese
- Fiber syrup/agave or honey (optional)
Other recipes you might like:
- Herb & Zucchini Flatbread Pizza (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Ricotta & Tomato Galette (Gluten Free & Lower Fat)
- Sweet Potato Mini Pizza Bites (Gluten Free)
- Ricotta, Beetroot & Goat Cheese Flatbread Pizza (Gluten Free)
- Easy Flatbread Pizza with Cherry Tomatoes, Mozzarella & Pesto (Gluten Free)
- Mini Pizzas with Apricots & Taleggio (Gluten Free)
- Prosciutto & Peach Flatbread Pizza (Gluten Free)
- Chanterelle Flatbread Pizza (Gluten Free)
- Prosciutto & FIg Flatbread Pizza (Gluten Free)
Sweet Potato Flatbread Pizza with Beetroot Pesto & Blue Cheese (Vegetarian & Gluten Free)
- 1 dl Sweet potato mash (or one large sweet potato)
- 1 dl Oat flour
- Olive oil, to fry
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt (optional)
- 8-12 tbsp Beetroot pesto
- 25 g Blue cheese
- Hazelnuts roughly chopped
- Fiber syrup/honey/agave (optional), to top
- Unless you have the beetroot pesto make it according to note 1 below.
- Unless you have sweet potato mash preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Fork the sweet potato and bake in the oven until soft.
- When the sweet potato is done take it out of the oven and let it cool for a 2-3 minutes, then remove the peal.
- Preheat a grill pan with some olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sweet potato to a bowl and mix until smooth using a hand mixer.
- Add sea salt and the oat flour, little by little, and kneed until you have a smooth dough. But don't add too much flour so the dough gets too dry.
- Form 4-6 equally sized flatbread pizza crust and add to the warm grill pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they're warm and have grill marks.
- Preheat a nonstick pan and dry roast some hazelnuts until warm and golden brown.
- When the sweet potato flatbread pizzas are done, place them on a plate.
- Top with the beetroot pesto, pieces of blue cheese and roughly chopped hazelnuts.
- Drizzle honey, agave or fiber syrup on top if preferred.