This is a recipe for a delicious, flavorful and easy roasted beetroot pesto. This pesto only requires a few staple ingredients and five minutes of your time. It is perfect to serve with pasta, as a spread, dip or add in salads and side dishes. This pesto is both gluten and grain free but can easily be made vegan and dairy free as well.
Pesto is such a useful thing to have at home. You can use it for so many different purposes and it can really life a boring meal. I always have some kind of pesto at home, and whenever I don’t know what to cook or don’t have the energy to make a sauce I use pesto! But pesto doesn’t have to be made with basil and pine nuts. I love making all different kind of pestos. Using different herbs, kale or like here; beetroots. This pesto is really so delicious, pairs well with just about everything and is silly easy to make.
A few tips:
- I used roasted beetroots. But you can also make it with cooked beets or mix cooked and roasted.
- Make sure to bake the beetroots until they are really soft and tender. Otherwise the pesto will become more grainy and dry.
- I used parmesan in my pesto. If you want to make this vegan or dairy free you can either just skip the cheese, use a parmesan like vegan cheese or use natural yeast.
- I used walnuts for this pesto, but if you prefer other nuts you can use any nuts you like. I thinking about trying this pesto with pistachios or almonds in the future.
- Store the pesto in a clean jar in the fridge.
- It is good to store for up to one week in the fridge.
Ingredients for this Roasted Beetroot Pesto:
- Parmesan cheese (can be omitted or replaced)
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Other recipes you might like:
- Broccoli, Parsley & Almond Pesto
- Vegan Ricotta (Cauliflower & Tofu Based)
- Vegan Cream Cheese (Made with Cashews)
- Blueberry & Balsamic Sauce (Sugar Free)
Roasted Beetroot Pesto (Gluten & Grain Free)
- 3 medium Beetroots washed and divided in two
- 2-3 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 dl Walnuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 dl Parmesan cheese (can be expluded or replaced by cheese of choice)
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1-1 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the beetroots, cut in half and put on a parchment covered baking sheet.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper and bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes (or until soft and tender).
- Let the cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and mix until smooth. Taste to check if more seasoning or cheese is needed.
- Place in a clean jar and store in the fridge.