This is a recipe for a tasty, fresh and delicious Charred Scallion Salsa. This salsa only requires a few key ingredients and 30 minutes to get ready. It is perfect to serve along with both fish, chicken and meat or to add as a topping on your salad or roasted vegetables. It is both vegan, gluten, grain free and low carb.
Salsa might just be my number one thing to serve along with my main course. It is really so versatile, easy to make and only your imagination sets the boundaries. Tomato salsa is the most know or used salsa… I guess. But what stops you from making salsa from everything you like? Or from the vegetables that are getting sad and dull in the fridge. I love trying different kinds of salsa all the time, experimenting with different main ingredients and add ins. It’s really such an easy thing to make and it kind of always turns out great! Making the most unexpected pairings come together into a delicious, flavorful and exciting new salsa. This salsa is made with charred scallions (because I loooove scallion and needed to try a scallion salsa), fresh cilantro (but you can use any herbs you like and prefer), red wine vinegar, garlic, shallots, lemon and chili. This salsa is really one of the best I’ve made so far and its delicious to serve with just about everything! It is both vegan, gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Bake the scallion and garlic in aluminum foil to get it soft and not totally burnt and dry.
- Remove the garlic and then let the scallion roast for another 5-10 minutes until golden brown.
- I used cilantro in my salsa, but you can use any herbs you like and prefer or even mix a few different once.
- This salsa is good to store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Ingredients for this Charred Scallion Salsa:
- Red chili
- Red wine vinegar
- Camelina or olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Other recipes you might like:
- Rhubarb & Peach Salsa (Vegan & Sugar Free)
- Hazelnut & Parsley Pesto (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Beetroot Pesto (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Broccoli, Parsley & Almond Pesto
Charred Scallion Salsa (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- A bunch of (200 g) Scallion stems removed
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Schallot minced
- 2-3 tbsp Cilantro chopped
- 1/2-1 tbsp Lemon juiced
- 1/2 Lemon zest
- 1/2-1 Red chili minced
- 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1/2-1 tbsp Camelin or olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place the scallion and garlic cloves on aluminium foil and fold into a package, leaving some space for air in it.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until soft and browned.
- Then open the package, remove the garlic cloves and let the scallion roast for another 5-10 minutes until a little browned.
- Take out the scallions from the oven and slice thinly and add to a bowl.
- Mince the garlif, chili, shallot and cilantro and add to the bowl.
- Add red wine vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, camelina or olive oil and stir to combine.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper according to taste.
- Place in a jar.