This recipe is for a spicy, flavorful and super delicious Plum Chutney. This chutney only requires a hand full of ingredients and five minutes of your time. It is perfect to serve along with some chicken or meat, add to your cheese and charcuterie board or add to you sandwich or toast. This plum chutney is both gluten and refined sugar free.
Making a homemade chutney is both easy, quick and can be made healthier than the store bought once. You really only need one pot, the spices you like to season it with, a sweetener (not necessary if the fruits are sweet enough) and something a little acid. Then you just put everything in the pot and let it shimmer until it turns out into a thick and delicious chutney. This chutney is made with plums and seasoned with chili, ginger and cinnamon which makes it both spicy and warm. The amount of spices can of course be adapted according to taste and preferences. Serve this chutney with chicken, meat, add it to your cheese and charcuterie board or add it on a toast or sandwich. This plum chutney is both gluten and refined sugar free.
A few tips:
- Use ripe and juicy plums. Don’t use bland and dry once, it really makes the biggest difference and makes the chutney sweet and flavorful instead of bland and tasteless.
- You can adapt the amount of ginger, chili and cinnamon according to taste.
- This chutney can be made without any additional sweetener since the plums already are sweet. But then the expiration date will be a bit shorter than if you use some sugar.
- Let the chutney shimmer and don’t boil it on too high temperature. It should shimmer until the water has evaporated, the plums and onions are soft, so soft that they kind of fall apart.
- Store the chutney in a jar in the fridge.
Ingredients for this Plum Chutney:
- Red onion
- Fresh ginger
- Red chili
- White wine vinegar
- Fiber syrup, agave or honey
- Stevia sugar (optional)
- Lemon juice
Other recipes you might like:
- Plum Compote with Cinnamon & Ginger (Sugar Free)
- Plum Jam/Sauce
- Persimmon Sauce (Refined Sugar Free)
- Charred Scallion Salsa (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Rhubarb & Peach Salsa (Vegan & Sugar Free)
Plum Chutney (Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- 10 Plums pitted and sliced
- 1 Red onion sliced
- 1-2 tsp Fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1/4-1 Red chili minced
- 1 tbsp White wine vinegar or apple cider
- 1-2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Fiber syrup, agave or honey
- 1 tbsp Stevia sugar (optional, depends on how sweet your plums are and how sweet you prefer your chutney)
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 Water
- Pit, slice, mince and grate all ingredients and put in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat and let the chutney shimmer until the water has evaporated, the ingredients are soft and the chutney has thickened. All ingredients should be really soft and almost fall apart.
- Run using a hand mixer if you want it completely smooth, I prefer to leave it as it is. It will be very smooth and creamy anyways.
- Place in a jar, let it cool and then store in the fridge.