This recipe is for delicious and easy Mini Vanilla Pies with Berries. You only need four ingredients for the crust and four ingredients for the vanilla cream (or five if non vegan) and about 30 minutes to make them. Serve these mini vanilla pies as an afternoon snack, dessert or include them in a buffet. They are both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
These mini vanilla pies are always a favorite and a true lifesaver! If you don’t know what to bake and want to make something that is both easy, relatively quick, light and delicious these mini vanilla pies are perfect to try. Not only are they made with just a few simple ingredients, they’re also easy to vary by changing the toppings or adding additional flavors to the vanilla cream such as lemon or chocolate. These mini pies have alight and fresh crust that is made with oat flour, desiccated coconut, just a little coconut oil and apple sauce. This makes the crust light and fresh yet perfectly sweet with a lovely texture. The vanilla cream can be made either vegan or non vegan depending on preferences. These mini pies take about 20-30 minutes to make and both the crust and cream can be prepared in advanced and then just assembled when ready to serve. They are both vegan, gluten and sugar free.
A few tips:
- The crust might take some time to kneed until you have a firm dough, but just keep on needing. If it has’t come together after five minutes add a little more coconut oil or apple sauce.
- Make sure to grease the muffin pan/tin to avoid the crust from breaking when removing them from the tins.
- The vanilla sauce can be made vegan or non vegan. Both options are described in the recipe. There’s only one ingredient differing between the two options.
- If making the non vegan vanilla cream make sure to remove the milk from the hot stove before adding the egg yolks. Otherwise the egg yolks will curdle. So you don’t want the milk to be too warm since the yolks will cook instead of incorporate in the milk.
- Add one egg yolk at a time and stir constantly to incorporate it in the milk. Repeat with all three egg yolks.
- When adding the corn starch have the vanilla cream on low heat and add just a little bit of starch at a time and stir constantly, this to avoid lumps from creating. As you add more and more starch, stir and warm the vanilla cream on low heat it will start to thicken. It will take a few minutes, so don’t add too much starch at once so that you’ll end up with a too thick cream.
- Let the crust and cream cool before assembling the mini pies.
- Top with any fruits or berries that you like.
Ingredients for these Mini Vanilla Pies with Berries:
- Oat flour
- Desiccated coconut
- Coconut oil
- Apple sauce
- Oat milk
- Egg yolk (if non vegan)
- Vanilla powder
- Corn starch
Other recipes you might like:
- Vanilla Ricotta Cake with Raspberries (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Rhubarb Vanilla Muffins with Cream Cheese (Gluten, Oil & Sugar Free)
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries & Cream Cheese Frosting )Vegan, Gluten & Refined Sugar Free)
- Blue & Blackberry Cheesecake & Chocolate Bars (Gluten, Sugar Free & Low Fat)
- Strawberry Mascarpone Dessert with Elderflower (Gluten, Grain, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Peach & Raspberry Mini Pies with Yogurt Filling (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Dessert Pizza with Fruits & Berries (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
- No Bake Toffee Mini Cheesecakes (Gluten, Sugar Free & Low Carb)
- Granola Tartlet with Nutella Cream (Gluten & Sugar Free)
- Cream Cheese Filled Banana Muffin Cupcakes (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
Mini Vanilla Pies with Berries (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)
For the crust
- 3 dl Oat flour
- 3/4 dl Desiccated coconut
- 3 tsp Coconut oil melted and slightly cooled
- 3 tbsp Apple sauce
- 3-4 tbsp Xylitol (optional, just if you prefer a sweeter crust)
For the vanilla cream (non vegan)
- 3 dl Oat milk
- 3 Egg yolks
- 2-3 tbsp Xylitol
- 3/4-1 tsp Vanilla powder
- 2-3 tbsp Corn starch
For the vegan vanilla cream
- 3 dl Oat milk
- 2-3 tbsp Xylitol
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla powder
- 2-3 tsp Corn starch
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a muffin pan or muffin tins.
- Combine the ingredients for the crust. It might take some time to get the dough to stick, but just continue needing. Or add just a little bite more apple sauce or coconut oil.
- Divide the dough between four muffin tins and bake in the upper part of the oven for 15 minutes.
- For the non vegan vanilla cream: Bring milk to a boil together with sweetener and vanilla powder. Lower the heat and let the milk simmer slowly. Remove the milk from the hot stove and wait for about 30 seconds. Then add one egg yolk at a time stirring constantly to incorporate the egg yolk. It is important to remove the milk from the hot stove to avoid the yolk from curdling. When the yolks are incorporated in the milk and you have a smooth sauce add the pot back on the stove, keeping it on low temperature.
- Now add one tablespoon of corn starch at a time gently stirring all the time to avoid lumps to form. Keep stirring and let the vanilla sauce simmer. Add a little more corn starch at a time until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and let it cool down.
- For the vegan alternative: Bring milk to a boil together with sweetener and vanilla powder. Lower the heat and let the milk simmer slowly. Add one tablespoon of corn starch at a time gently stirring all the time to avoid lumps to form. Keep stirring and let the vanilla sauce simmer. Add a little more corn starch at a time until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat and let it cool down.
- When the crust and vanilla cream has cooled down divide the vanilla cream between the crusts.
- Top with fruits and berries of choice.
2 thoughts on “Mini Vanilla Pies with Berries (Vegan, Gluten & Sugar Free)”