This recipe is for delicious, tender and flavorful North African Turkey Meatballs on Cauliflower Purée with Chermoula. This dish is made with relatively easy and common ingredients even though we’re using North African flavors. Make this dish for a delicious weekday meal or cozy weekend dinner. This dish is both gluten, grain free and low carb.
This is a flavorful North African Turkey Meatball dish served on cauliflower purée topped with Chermoula. The meatballs are tender, juicy and filled with tasty spices. The cauliflower is silk smooth with a hint of heat. Served with a fresh, flavorful and spicy chermoula.
Meatballs are such a wonderful dish to make and only your imagination sets the boundaries. They are so versatile, easy to make and everyone loves them. These North African turkey meatballs with cauliflower puree and flavorful chermoula is a wonderful, fun and tasty take on classic meatballs. This dish is a great balance of fresh and light, warm and comforting with a great mix of texture and taste. The combination of the silk smooth cauliflower purée, tender turkey meatballs and the flavorful chermoula is fantastic. I also added some crumbled feta cheese on top just because it adds a nice savory and creaminess to the dish. Make this dish for a weekend meal or cozy weekend dinner. These meatballs can of course also be made with meat or vegan/vegetarian options.
So what is chermoula?
Chermoula is a North African spice mix. The main ingredients are cilantro, parsley, cumin and garlic. You could compare it to chimichurri, since it’s used in a similar way and have a few of the same ingredients. The seasoning is a bit different though. Chermoula also includes cilantro which chimichurri does not. Chermoula is very flavorful, fresh and light. It’s used both at a condiment in soaps, stews and to season fish, chicken and meat. If you haven’t tried chermoula I really suggest you do!
Ingredients for these North African Turkey Meatballs on Cauliflower Purée with Chermoula:
- Ground turkey
- Ground cumin
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Feta cheese (optional)
- Creme Fraiche
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Olive oil
- Cumin seeds
- Cilantro seeds
- Cayenne pepper
- Fresh ginger
Other recipes you might like:
- Spiced Chicken with Plums
- Ajvar Seasoned Chicken Bowl (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Cajun Spiced Chicken with Rhubarb & Peach Salsa (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Meatballs with Tsatsiki & Chimichurri (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Korean Sticky Meatballs with Fresh Vegetables (GLuten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Biff A La Lindström
- Bibimbap with Beef
- Korean Ssam
- Yoghurt Lemon Marinated Chicken Skewers
- Open Lentil Moussaka (Vegan & Oil Free)
North African Turkey Meatballs on Cauliflower Purée with Chermoula
For the turkey meatballs
- 500 g Ground turkey
- 1 Egg
- 1-2 Garlic cloved minced
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Feta cheese, to top (optional) crumbled
- Olive oil
For the cauliflower purée
- 1/2 big Cauliflower head divided into smaller florets
- 1 tbsp Creme Fraiche
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Ground cumin (optional)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
For the chermoula
- 1 dl Cilantro
- 1 dl Parsley
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds toasted
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds (optional, but recommended) toasted
- 1/2-1 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1-2 Garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1/2 Lemon zest
- 2-3 tbsp Lemon juiced
- 1 cm Fresh ginger minced
- Bring water to a boil in a pot, boiling cauliflower in water with some salt and let it simmer until soft.
- Preheat two nonstick pans over medium heat.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until golden brown. Stir regularly. Keep the pan hot and add some olive oil.
- Combine ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl. Form equally sized meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to the other pan and fry until golden brown all around.
- Place the meatballs in a oven safe dish and bake for 12-18 minutes, until done.
- Meanwhile add all the ingredients for the chermoula to a blender and mix until smooth.
- Taste to check if more seasoning is needed.
- When the cauliflower is soft, remove it from the stow and drain well.
- Using a hand mixer mix the cauliflower to a smooth purée. Add in the Creme Fraiche and season with sea salt, ground cumin and dijon mustard (if using).
- Place the cauliflower on plates.
- Add the meatballs on top when they are ready and top with chermoula and feta cheese.