This recipes is for a really quick, easy and super delicious and flavorful Ajvar Seasoned Chicken Bowl. This dish only calls for six main ingredients and is ready to serve in only 15 minutes. This dish is perfect to make both for lunch, dinner or meal prep purpose. It is both gluten, grain free and low carb.
I really love fast food. Fast food in the sense it’s quick and easy to make, not meaning unhealthy take away options. Cooking with just a few ingredients and making it simple and quick does not equal boring at all. Quite the opposite. I usually find dishes that only include a few key ingredients the best, not adding too much, just letting your key ingredients speak for themselves. This dish is a great example of that. You only need six main ingredients, no complicated steps or requiring advanced skills and its ready in only 15 minutes. Quite a win win, don’t you think? This dish is a mix of protein (chicken), crunchy and fresh vegetables and one of my favorite condiments, ajvar. Ajvar is a bell pepper based sauce that comes from Balkan. It can be made with additional ingredients like eggplant, garlic, chili pepper to mention a few. You can make it both mild or spicy. I love to make my own, but there are really great options in the shops (which I used this time). When using ajvar you really don’t need any other spices, since it is such a flavorful sauce that has it all. This dish is truly so easy and quick to make yet taste amazing. Make it for lunch, dinner or meal prep purpose. I made it both gluten, grain free and low carb, but if you want to make it more filling you can serve it with pasta, bulgur, couscous or rice.
A few tips:
- Make sure to cut the chicken into equally sized pieces so that the cooking time is the same for all pieces.
- I made zucchini ribbons by first slicing the zucchini on a mandolin and then cutting it using a knife into thinner ribbons. But you can also make regular slices, dices or whatever form you prefer on your zucchini.
- Make sure to not overcook the chicken or vegetables. The chicken should of course be cooked through and the vegetables should be warm and a little softened, but still hold some crunch. I start by frying the bell pepper since it takes longest time and then add the chicken. When the two of them are almost done I add the rest of the ingredients since they only take 1-2 minutes to get warm and a little softened.
- I used spicy ajvar, but you can also use a mild one if you don’t like spicy food.
Ingredients for this Ajvar Seasoned Chicken Bowl:
- Chicken breast fillets
- Mixed green leaves
- Yellow bell pepper
- Green olives
- Creme Fraiche/Yogurt (optional)
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Spicy Chicken Tacos
- Lemon & Yogurt Marinated Chicken Skewers with Hummus (Gluten Free)
- Cajun Spiced Chicken with Rhubarb & Peach Salsa (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Spiced Chicken with Plums (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Sweet Potato & Beetroot Hash (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Kimchi Omelette (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Burrata with Roasted Bell Pepper Sauce (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Ajvar Seasoned Chicken Bowl (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 2 Chicken breast fillets cut into smaller pieces
- 100 g Mixed green leaves
- 1 Yellow bell pepper cored and diced
- 1 Zucchini thinly sliced lengthwise then cut into thinner ribbons
- 12-14 Green olives pitted if preferred
- 4-6 tbsp Ajvar (I used spicy ajvar)
- Creme Fraiche or yogurt, to top (optional)
- Olive oil, to fry
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Add the bell pepper and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Next add the chicken and stir together with the bell pepper and let it fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add the zucchini ribbons, green leaves, olives and ajvar and stir together. Let it fry for about 1-2 minutes, just until everything is warm and the chicken is cooked through. Don't fry for too long so the chicken becomes dry and the veggies become over cooked and soggy. The veggies should still hold some crunch and feel juicy.
- Divide between two bowls, top with Creme Fraiche/yogurt and serve.