This chicken recipe is spicy, flavorful and delicious. It only requires a few ingredients, is easy to make and ready in 20 minutes. This dish is perfect to make either when you want a quick and easy weekday meal or when you want a delicious and flavorful weekend dinner.
If you’ve been following me for a while you know that I was quite reluctant to adding fruits in cooking. But I have completely changed my mind the last two years. Now fruits have almost become a staple when Im cooking. Adding seasonal fruits to your cooking is a great way of making the most out of them, but also adding a nice twist and taste to your meal. They add a delicious contrast to vegetables, protein and grains and can really lift a quite simple meal and make it taste amazing. This chicken dish is a great example. This dish is made with a light and fresh lemon flavored yogurt bed, with harissa spiced chicken breast. That maybe doesn’t sound too exciting, but by adding quickly fried spicy plums it becomes very flavorful, with nice contrasts and a mix of interesting textures. This dish is great to eat just as it is or to serve with some potatoes or a side dish, It is both gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- You can adjust the amount of harissa according to how spicy you prefer your dish.
- Use plums that are medium ripe, otherwise they will become too mushy and soggy when you fry them. And if you use too hard plums they will be very tart and sour. Medium ripe plums will have a good and firm texture, become warm and tender when fried, have a bit of a tart taste but also a lovely sweetness.
- I like to pan fry my chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side before baking it in the oven. But you can just pan fry it if you like.
- I bake the chicken on quite low heat in the oven. This makes the dish take a bit longer time to prepare, but it will ensure the chicken turns out very tender and juicy.
- Fry the plums just at the end, when the chicken is almost done.
Ingredients for this Spiced Chicken with Plums:
- Chicken fillets
- Harissa seasoning
- Orange juice
- Lemon juice
Other recipes you might like:
- Yogurt Marinated Chicken Skewers
- North African Meatballs on Cauliflower Purée with Chermoula
- Healthy Chicken Larb with Cauliflower Rice
- Chicken with Grilled Heirloom Tomatoes & Peach (Gluten, Dairy, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Chicken Tacos (Gluten Free)
- Chicken Skewers with Watermelon & Feta Cheese (Gluten & Grain Free)
Spiced Chicken with Plums
- 2 Chicken fillets
- 2-3 Plums cut into wedges
- 2-3 tbsp Harissa seasoning
- 1-2 tbsp Orange juice (preferably resh)
- 3-4 tbsp Yogurt
- 1/2-1 tbsp Lemon juice (preferably fresh)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Cover the chicken fillets with 1-2 tbsp harissa seasoning (depending on how spicy you like it).
- Fry the chicken fillets for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Transfer to a oven safe baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on how thick the fillets are). When the water comes out clear the chicken is done. Make sure not to overbake them so they done come out dry.
- Keep the nonstick pan warm on low heat.
- Meanwhile combine yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed. Transfer the yogurt to a plate and spread evenly.
- When theres just 2-3 minutes left for the chicken to be ready highten the heat on the stove where you have the nonstick pan. Add sliced plums, more harissa seasoning and orange juice to the hot pan. Fry for just 1-2 minutes, until they start to caramelize and get golden brown.
- When the chicken is ready, slice it into smaller pieces and put over the yogurt dressing.
- Add the warm plums on top and garnish with parsley.
2 thoughts on “Spiced Chicken with Plums (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)”