These Spicy Prawn Bites are quick, easy and super flavorful. They only require a few simple ingredients and 10 minutes to prepare. They are perfect to serve as appetizers, finger food or to include in a buffet or sharing dinner. They are both gluten, grain free and low carb.
No Friday without Fridays appetizers at my place! It has really become a holy Friday tradition to kick off the weekend with something small and delicious to eat. I love making it quite simple and light, yet flavorful and delicious. Like these easy and quick spicy prawn bites. They are made with a few easy ingredients and only take 10 minutes to make. You have a delicious mix of fresh and crunchy lettuce, carrot and sugar snaps, tender spicy prawns, creamy avocado, a delicious dressing and nutty sunflower seeds. These spicy prawns bites are easy to adapt and are suitable for most diets, food preferences and allergies (you can easily swap the Creme Fraiche and mayonnaise for vegan options). Serve them as appetizers, finger food or include them in a buffet or sharing dinner. They are both gluten, grain free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Buy good quality prawns and not the smaller cheaper ones. They are the key ingredients here so don’t compromise by buying the cheaper once. You only need 6-12 prawns (depending on the size) so it won’t cost that much.
- Use a medium ripe avocado. It should be firm but still creamy and easy to bite.
- Make sure to dry path the prawns using a paper towel before coating them in chili powder and lemon juice and frying them. Otherwise they will cook instead of fry.
- You can adjust the amount of chili powder according to taste.
- You can adjust the Creme Fraiche/mayonnaise ratio according to taste. I prefer to keep the dressing a little lighter and only adding just a little bit of mayonnaise.
- Prepare these bites just before serving.
Ingredients for these Spicy Prawn Bites:
- Salad leaves
- Chili powder
- Lemon juice
- Sugar snaps
- Creme Fraiche
- Tamari or soy sauce
- Rince vinegar
- Sunflower seeds
- Olive oil
Other recipes you might like:
- Crudo Salmon & Scallop Plate (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Appetizers Three Ways (Gluten, Grain Free with Low Carb Option)
- Salmon Sashimi Popsicles with Avocado Cream (Gluten, Grain Fee & Low Carb)
- Melon Scampi Salad (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Summer Fruit & Scallop Ceviche (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- White Asparagus with Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Prawns (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Scallop Bites with Caviar & Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Plums & Feta Cheese (Gluten Free)
- Prawn Bites with Chimichurri & Nectarine Salsa (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Salad Cups with Shrimps & Nectarine Salsa (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
Spicy Prawn Bites (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 6 Salad leaves
- 6-12 Prawns
- 1/2-1 tsp Chili powder (depending on how spicy you prefer your prawns)
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Carrot coarsely grated
- 3-4 Sugar snaps thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Creme Fraiche
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2-1 tsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Grated
- Sunflower seeds, to top
- Olive oil, to fry
- Grate the carrots, peel and slice the avocado, slice the sugar snaps. Set aside.
- Combine Creme Fraiche, mayonnais, tamari/soy sauce, rice vinegar and grated ginger in a small bowl.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with some olive oil.
- Preheat another nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Dry path the prawns using a paper towel.
- Combine prawns, chili powder and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- When the pan with the olive oil is hot add the prawns and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, depending on how big they are.
- Add sunflower seeds to the other pan and dry roast until golden brown.
- When the prawns are done, place salad leaves on a plate.
- Top with grated carrots, 1-2 prawns, avocado, sugar snaps, dressing and the roasted sunflower seeds.