This recipe is for a super delicious, tasty and easy Sweet Potato Toast with Ricotta & Grilled Blood Orange. This toast only includes three main ingredients and 10 minutes to make. Serve this brunch for breakfast, brunch, dinner or as an afternoon snack. It is both vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
Oranges are great to use in savory dishes! I guess most people eat them as a snack or include them in their breakfast or baking. But they are such a great addition in savory dishes as well. They add a nice sweet and juicy taste to the dish and make a lovely contrast to cheeses and yogurts. This toast is a great example of how to use oranges in savory dishes. This dish is made with just three main ingredients (and two optional), only takes 10 minutes to prepare and taste wonderful. You have a tender sweet potato toast that has a gentle sweet taste, fresh ricotta that has a smooth texture with a creamy mild taste, sweet quickly fried oranges, creamy and sweet honey/agave/fiber syrup and roasted warm walnuts. This toast is perfect to serve for for breakfast, brunch, lunch or as an afternoon snack. It is both vegetarian, gluten and grain free.
A few tips:
- I used sweet potato slices for the toast. But you can of course replace them with regular bread if preferred. But I would recommend you to try a sweet potato toast.
- You can either bake the sweet potato toast in the oven or make it in a bread toaster. I prefer to use the oven even though it takes a few more minutes.
- Make sure to let the nonstick pan get really warm with some olive oil in it before frying the orange slices. They should fry quickly to get a little warm and browned. If you start to fry them before the pan is really hot they will end up mushy, bland and boring.
- The fiber syrup/honey/agave is optional but highly recommended, it adds a lovely taste to the toast.
- The same goes with the walnuts.
Ingredients for this Sweet Potato Toast with Ricotta & Grilled Blood Orange:
- Sweet potato
- Blood orange
- Fiber syrup/agave or honey (optional)
- Walnuts (optional)
Other recipes you might like:
- Toast with Scrambled Eggs & Chanterelles
- Toast with Burrata & Pesto (Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Prosciutto, Asparagus & Burrata (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Sweet Potato Toast with Avocado & Poached Egg (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Toast with Cream Cheese & Rhubarb Spread (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Orange & Fennel Burrata Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Citrus & Mozzarella Salad (Gluten Free)
Sweet Potato Toast with Ricotta & Grilled Blood Orange (Vegetarian, Gluten & Grain Free)
- 2 slices Sweet potatoes
- 4-5 tbsp Ricotta
- 1 Blood orange separated and sliced
- Fiber syrup, agave or honey (optional)
- 2 tbsp Walnuts (optional) roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place the sweet potato slices on a parchment covered baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes in the oven.
- Meanwhile preheat a nonstick pan over medium/high heat with some olive oil.
- Segment and slice the blood orange. When about 2 minutes remain for the sweet potatoes to be done fry the blood orange for about 1 minute on each side, until it's warm and golden brown. Also add the walnuts (if prefered roasted) and fry until golden brown.
- Take out the sweet potatoes from the oven.
- Place on a plate and add ricotta on the sweet potato slices.
- Top with fried orange slices, fiber syrup/agave or honey and roughly chopped walnuts.
- Serve warm.