These appetizers are both easy, quick and super delicious. They are made with only a few ingredients and only require 10 minutes of your time. Serve them as finger food, appetizer or pre dinner snack. They are both gluten, grain free and can be made low carb. They are also great and easy to make in a bigger batch when having lot of people over.
Appetizers or finger food are always my favorite! I really love eating small appetizers getting to taste many different combinations and flavors in small sizes. So that has kind of become a regular Friday thing at my place. And these appetizers are no exception! This recipe is for finger foods/appetizers with three different fish and seafood toppings that are really quick and easy to make and with a low carb alternative that still feels fresh and not too heavy. You can make these appetizers using either baked sweet potato crostini or fresh cucumber depending on your preferences and how much time you have to prepare them. Both options are gluten free and very easy to make. If you go for the sweet potato option the topping can be prepared while the sweet potato slices are in the oven. But if you want to make them low carb and prepare them in advance the cucumber option is a great, quick and easy one. The topping is made with two different salmons and the last one with shrimps. I wanted to make them all quite light and fresh since they should just get your appetite going and not make you full. They are also easy to adapt according to food preferences and taste.
A few tips:
- These appetizers can easily be made in bigger sizes without being time consuming. I made them for two people, so one flavor each.
- I used just a little mayonnaise when making the capers dressing, but you can skip it or use even more if preferred. It’s all up yo you how you like your dressing.
- This goes for all three fish/seafood ingredients. You really don’t need that big volumes when making these, so please use good quality ingredients. It really makes the biggest difference.
- The above I need to push even more for the shrimps. Don’t buy the small cheaper once. They don’t taste as unpeeled bigger once, there’s a huge difference. If you can buy unpeeled shrimp on weight instead of packages once you should buy those instead. You only need one shrimp per slice, hence it won’t cost that much to upgrade to the bigger once.
- You can use caviar, fish roe or seaweed caviar.
Ingredients for these Appetizers Three Ways:
- Sweet potato or cucumber
- Hot smoked salmon
- Smoked salmon
- Creme Fraiche
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Sesame seeds
- Red fish roe or caviar
- Black fish roe or caviar
- Sea salt
Other recipe you might like:
- Sweet Potato Crostini with Cream Cheese & Smoked Salmon
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Plum & Feta Cheese
- Sweet Potato Crostini with Cream Cheese, Pomegranate & Cranberries (Gluten Free)
- Blini with Creme Fraiche, Fish Roe & Salmon (Gluten Free)
- Pear & Serrano Bites (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Caprese Bites (Vegetarian, Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Beef Tataki Appetizer Rolls (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Scallop Bites with Caviar & Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Scallops with Spicy Mango Salsa
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Prawns (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Bresaola Chips with Tomato, Mozzarella & Mango Salsa (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Sashimi Popsicles with Avocado Cream
- Savory Pancake Popovers with Salmon & Shrimps (Gluten Free)
- Smashed Potatoes with Creme Fraiche & Fish Roe
Appetizers Three Ways (Gluten, Grain Free With Low Carb Option)
- 6 slices Sweet potatoes or cucumber
- 20 g Hot smoked salmon
- 2 Shrimps peeled and rinsed
- 1 slice Smoked salmon divided in two pieces
- 1/2 dl Creme Fraiche
- 1/2-1 tsp Mayonnaise (optional)
- 1/2-1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Sesame seeds, to top
- 1 tsp Red fish roe or caviar
- 1 tsp Black fish roe or caviar
- 1+1 tsp Capers half of them roughly chopped and half whole
- Dill, to top
- Sea salt, to taste
- If using sweet potatoes preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- When the oven is hot place the sweet potato slices on a parchment covered baking sheet and baked for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of Creme Fraiche with the hot smoked salmon in a bowl. Add lemon juice according to taste.
- Next combine about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of creme Fraiche with dijon mustard and mayonnaise (if using) and 1 teaspoon roughly chopped capers and combine in a bowl. Season with sea salt and lemon juice according to taste.
- Peel and rinse the shrimps.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready or if using cucumber slices place them on a plate.
- Top two slices with the hot smoked salmon salad and top with sesame seeds.
- Top two slices with smoked salmon, the capers dressing and top with more capers on top.
- Top the last two with about 1 teaspoon each of Creme Fraiche, a shrimp and fish roe. Garnish with dill.