This recipe is for easy and delicious Savory Pancake Popovers with Salmon & Shrimps. These pancake popovers only require four ingredients and five minutes of your time, the rest is taken care of by the oven. Then you just have to top with a few and simple ingredients that really don’t need any cooking or preparation. These savory pancake popovers are perfect to serve as finger food, appetizers, starters or to include in a buffet. The pancakes are both gluten and dairy free, and if swapping the Creme Fraiche for a dairy free one you can have the whole dish dairy free.
Pancakes and popovers are at least for me mostly associated with sweet toppings, but they really should be eaten with savory topping more if you ask me. Pancake popovers first and foremost are such a great alternative to making pancakes or crepes, since they really don’t require more than five minutes of your time! They are great to make in big batches and when you want something delicious yet very easy to make. And as mentioned, they can be used both for savory and sweet purposes. This time I made my pancake popovers with a savory topping that has a very classic Swedish touch to them. Hence making these savory popovers topped with salmon, shrimps and fish roe. These savory pancake popovers are a mix of tender baked batter, with a crunchy outside and delicious and salty salmon, shrimps and fish roe accompanied by Creme Fraiche for a sour and fresh taste and spinach to add some crunch. These pancake popovers are perfect to serve as finger food, appetizers, starters or to include in a buffet. The popovers are gluten and dairy free, and if you swap the Creme Fraiche for a dairy free alternative you can make them dairy free.
A few tips:
- I used a dairy free milk, but you can use regular milk if you don’t want to make the pancake popovers dairy free.
- Bake the pancakes just until golden brown and popped. Don’t bake them for too long so that they become dry.
- The will rise quite much, but them shrink while they cool, so fill the pancake pan 7/8 of the way up.
- You can swap the Creme Fraiche for a non dairy alternative to have these appetizers dairy free.
- Depending on the size of the shrimps the amount of shrimps will vary. But I would recommend your to use big high quality shrimps and not those small and tasteless one. You don’t need many shrimps if you use big once (about 8-10) so it won’t cost that much more than buying the cheap once.
- I used black fish roe, but you can also use red fish roe. Just use the once you like.
Ingredients for these Savory Pancake Popovers with Salmon & Shrimps:
- Gluten free all purpose flour
- (Plant based) milk
- Smoked salmon
- Creme Fraiche
- Black or red fish roe
- Fresh spinach
- Lemon pepper (optional)
- Dill (optional)
Other recipe you might like:
- Sweet Potato Crostini with Creme Cheese & Smoked Salmon (Gluten Free)
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
- Scallop Carpaccio with Avocado Cream & Fish Roe (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Blini with Creme Fraiche, Fish Roe & Salmon (Gluten Free)
- Scallop Bites with Caviar & Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Smashed Potatoes with Creme Fraiche & Fish Roe
Savory Pancake Popovers with Salmon & Shrimps (Gluten Free)
For the pancake popovers
- 3 Eggs
- 3 dl Plant based milk (or regular)
- 1 1/2 dl Gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Salt
For the topping
- 10-14 Shrimps peeled and rinsed
- 1-2 slices Smoked salmon cut into mouth sized pieces
- 8 tsp Creme Fraiche
- 4 tsp Black or red fish roe
- 8 Fresh spinach leafs
- Lemon pepper (optional)
- Dill (optional, I did not use it)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Great a muffin pan with some olive, coconut oil or butter.
- Add all the ingredients for the pancake popovers to a high speed blander or a bowl and mix/whisk until fully combined and a bit fluffy.
- Add the batter to the greased muffins pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Take out and let them cool a bit.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping.
- Top half of the popovers with spinach, salmon, Creme Fraiche and lemon pepper and the rest with shrimps, spinach, creme Fraiche and dill (if using).