These Prawn Bites with Chimichurri & Nectarine Salsa are tasty, fresh, summery and super delicious. They are easy and quick to make and ready to serve in only 10 minutes. Serve them as appetizers, pre-dinner snacks or include them in a buffet or sharing dinner. These lovely bites are both gluten and grain free made with just a little bit of olive oil.
Both seafood, chimichurri and salsa is strongly associated with summer for me. So why not combine these three and make a fresh, delicious and summery appetizer bites?! These prawn bites are made with sweet potato “crostini” as the base, to keep them gluten free. They’re quickly baked in the oven until soft (you can also bake them a bit longer if you want them more crunchy), then topped with a fresh and light chimichurri made with only a little bit of olive oil, fried prawns and wonderful, tasty and fresh nectarine salsa. These delicious and tasty small bites are perfect to make as summer appetizer. They are both gluten and grain free.
A few tips:
- Slice the sweet potatoes into equally thick slices.
- I did not use any oil for the sweet potatoes when baking them in the oven, it’s not really needed if you ask me.
- I bake them until soft and golden brown and just a little crispy. If you prefer them crispier you can bake them for a few minutes more.
- Make sure to pat dry the prawns before putting them in the hot pan to avoid them from cooking instead of frying.
- Do not fry the prawns for too long. Fry until they are golden brown and the meat is just slightly translucent or just until it turns opaque (depending on how raw you prefer them).
- The amount of chili can be adjusted according to taste both in the chimichurri and nectarine salsa.
- I only used a little bit of olive oil for the chimichurri since I wanted it to be really fresh and light. If you prefer more olive oil you can swap water for more oil.
Ingredients for these Shrimp Bites with Chimichurri & Nectarine Salsa:
- Sweet potato
- Green chili
- Red onion
- Red chili
Other recipes you might like:
- Mini Pizzas with Apricots & Taleggio (Gluten Free)
- Spicy Shrimp & Pineapple Tacos (Gluten Free)
- Sweet Potato Crostini with Cream Cheese & Smoked Salmon (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Hasselback Potatoes Three Ways with A Mix of Swedish & Asian Influences (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Sweet Potato Mini Pizza Bites (Gluten Free)
- Grilled Halloumi & Eggplant Bites with Chimichurri (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Prawn Bites (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Appetizers Three Ways (Gluten, Grain Free with Low Carb Option)
- Goat Cheese Filled Apricots (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Bresaola Chips with Tomato, Mozzarella & Mango Salsa (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Sweet Potato Hash Browns with Prawns (Gluten & Grain Free)
- Salad Cups with Shrimps & Nectarine Salsa (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Oil Free & Low Carb)
Prawn Bites with Chimichurri & Nectarine Salsa (Gluten & Grain Free)
- 6 slices Sweet potatoes
- 6 Prawns
Ingredients for the chimichurri
- 1 hand full of Parsley
- 1 hand full of Cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1/2-1 Green chili pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp Water
For the nectarine salsa
- 2 Nectarines finely diced
- 1 Red onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely diced
- 1/2-1 Red chili finely chopped
- 1 Lime juiced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Bake the sweet potato slices for approximately 10 minutes.
- Combine nectarines, tomato, red onion, chil and lime in a bowl. Season with salt and black pepper. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed.
- Mix the ingredients for the chimichurri in a blender until smooth. Taste to check if additional seasoning is neeed.
- Preheat a pan over medium/high heat with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Pat dry the prawns well using a paper towel. Add to the hot pan and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side, until browned.
- When potatoes are done add about one tablespoon of chimichurri on each. Top with the fried prawns and nectarine salsa.