This recipe is for a fresh, super delicious and easy White Asparagus and Shrimp dish that is served with a fish roe dressing. This dish only requires a few key ingredients and is ready to serve in 10 minutes. It is perfect to serve as a starter or to include in a buffet or “smörgåsbord”. It is both gluten, grain, oil free and low carb.
Im really hooked on asparagus! I usually use green asparagus when making side dishes or in salads. But when I want to make an appetizer/starter I turn to white asparagus. White asparagus is not as elegant and light as green asparagus. It’s heavier and more filling. Therefore I feel it needs to be the main star of the dish, unlike green asparagus that can be mixed into or served along with just about everything. This white asparagus dish feels so summery and light with lot of fresh flavors. It is a really simple and easy appetizer made with a few good quality ingredients that talk for themselves. It is served along with a fresh and delicious fish roe dressing on the side. This dish is great to serve as an appetizer or to include in a buffet or a “smorgasbord”. It is both gluten, grain, oil free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Remove the woody part at the bottom of the asparagus by snipping it where it breaks. You might think you’re waisting a part of the asparagus but you’re Not. You really don’t want to include it in your dish.
- Shave the asparagus using a potato shaver to remove the outer tough layer.
- Cook the asparagus just until its “Al Dente” you don’t want it to be fully cooked through which will make it soft and soggy.
Ingredients for the White Asparagus with Shrimps:
- White asparagus
- Creme Fraîche
- Red fish roe
- Dijon mustard
- Red onion
Other recipes you might like:
- Skagenröra & Seed Cracker Bites (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Melon & Scampi Salad
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
- Scallop Carpaccio with Avocado Cream & Fish Roe
- Scallop Bites with Caviar & Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Avocado Mousse with Shrimps & Fish Roe (Low Carb)
White Asparagus with Shrimps (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)
For the asparagus
- 6 White asparagus shaved (the top layer)
- 200 g Shrimps peeled
- Dill, to garish
- A pinch of Salt
For the sauce
- 1 dl Creme Fraîche
- 2-3 tbsp Red fish roe or caviar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 small Red onion finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Chives finely chopped
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Black pepper, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Peel the asparagus with a potato shaver.
- Cut the bottom 1-2 cm (the dry part).
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the asparagus and salt and let it shimmer for 7-10 minutes (depending on how soft you want them and how thick they are).
- Meanwhile peel the shrimps, so that you have about 200 g of peeled shrimps.
- Then combine the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Taste to check if more seasoning is needed.
- Put on a plate, top with shrimps and dill and serve with the sauce.
One thought on “White Asparagus with Shrimps (Gluten, Grain, Oil Free & Low Carb)”