This is a recipe for delicious Swedish Skagenröra Bites served on seed crackers. This recipe only calls for a few ingredients and 10 minutes of your time. These small bites are perfect to serve as finger food, small appetizer or why not make a bigger one and eat for breakfast or lunch. These Skagenröra bites are both gluten, grain free and low carb.
Skagenröra is a Swedish shrimp salad invented in the 50s by a chef named Tore Wretman. The original recipe consists of shrimps, home made mayonnaise and dill. But today other ingredients like fish roe, creme fraîche and chives are commonly used when making Skagen. The most classic way of eating Skagenröra is by having “Toast Skagen” as an appetizer or light lunch. This version of Skagenröra is a healthier alternative but that still has kept most of the classic flavors. This salad is perfect to serve on seed crackers (like in the pictures) as small finger food or appetizer or make a bigger one and serve it for breakfast or lunch. Skagenröra can also be included in a delicious green salad, served (as mentioned above) as “Toast Skagen” or included in a cheese and seafood board. These skagenbites are both gluten, grain, oil free and low carb.
A few tips:
- Use unpeeled shrimps and peel them yourself. The unpeeled shrimps are most often bigger, taste better and are of better quality than the already peeled once.
- I skipped the mayonnaise to make it healthier, but if you want to make it like the original you can replace about half of the Creme Fraiche for mayonnaise.
- Add dijon mustard according to taste. I love adding dijon mustard to the salad, but it is not part of the original recipe.
- This salad can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge.
- If preparing the salad in advance don’t put the salad on the crackers until ready to serve.
Ingredients for the Skagenröra Seed Cracker Bites
- Creme Fraiche
- Dijon mustard
- Red onion
- Red Caviar
- Lettuce leafs
- Seed crackers
Other recipes you might like:
- Swedish Tapas (Gluten & Oil Free)
- Scallop Bites with Caviar & Shrimps (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Avocado Mousse with Shrimps & Fish Roe (Low Carb)
- Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Västerbotten Cheese Pannacotta (Gluten Free & Low Carb)
- Blini with Creme Fraîche, Fish Roe & Salmon (Gluten Free)
Skagenröra Seed Cracker Bites
- 2 dl Creme Fraiche, plain yoghurt or kvarg
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 15-20 Shrimps peeled
- 0,5 Red onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Chives finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dill finely chopped
- 0,5 lemon, juiced
- 0,5 lemon, zest
- 1 tbsp Red Caviar
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Mix the creme fraiche (yoghurt or kvarg) dijon mustard,lemon juice, lemon zest, dill, chives, red onion and caviar in a bowl.
- Add the peeled shrimps and combine thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve on small seed crackers and lettuce leafs
8 thoughts on “Skagenröra on Seed Crackers (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)”