This recipe is for an easy, quick and super delicious Shrimp Salad with a spicy lemon dressing. This salad only requires a few key ingredients, is really easy to make and taste delicious. It is served with a spicy lemon dressing, but if you prefer a milder dressing you can just go ahead and skip or use less of the ginger and chili. This salad is perfect to make either for lunch or dinner.
Shrimp salad is a really classic salad here in Sweden. You can find on most restaurant menus in many different variations. I would say that the two classic ingredients that are always there are the shrimps and a boiled egg. Adding asparagus is also very common when asparagus is in season. My version of a shrimp salad is very light and fresh, and keeping it very simple. I wanted to give the salad a little upgrade, hence I replaced the boiled egg with a poached one. And wow, it’s such a nice addition using a creamy poached egg instead of a boiled one. The rest of the salad is just fresh and easy, since I wanted to keep the shrimps, egg and asparagus in focus. Hence only using crunchy vegetables and delicious black berries to add some sweetness to it. The salad dressing is a fresh and spicy lemon dressing to add some punch to the dish. If you prefer a less spicy dressing just skip or use less of the ginger and chili.
A few tips:
- Buy good quality shrimps and peel them yourself. Don’t use the small and cheaper ones. This is a shrimp salad where the shrimps really should be in focus, hence you want to have bigger and better quality once.
- Make sure to remove the woody bottom part of the asparagus, you really don’t want to eat the dry part.
- When boiling the asparagus, it should be a bit softened but still crunchy. Otherwise it might come across as boring and bland.
- You can replace the poached egg with boiled one if you want to. But I really recommend you to use a poached one.
Ingredients for this Shrimp Salad:
- Green leafs
- Dijon mustard
- Olive or Avocado oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh ginger
- Red chili
Other recipes you might like:
Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- 200 g Shrimps peeled and rinsed
- 10 Asparagus bottom dry part removed
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Vinegar (optional)
- 6 Radishes quartered
- 1/4 Cucumber thinly sliced
- 10-12 Blackberries
- 100 g Green leafs
For the dressing
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1/2-1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Olive or avocado oil
- A pinch of Sea salt
- 1-2 tsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1/2-1 Red chili minced
- Peel and rinse the shrimps and pat dry using a paper towl.
- Bring water to a boil with some salt in a pot that is big enough to fit the asparagus.
- Bring water to a boil in another medium sized pot together with the vingear (if using).
- Place the asparagus in the first pot. Lower the heat and let them shimmer for 4-5 minutes (until softened but still a bit crunchy).
- Drain the asparagus and set aside.
- I cook one egg at a time. Start by cracking one egg into a small bowl.
- When the water starts to boil, lower the heat and wait until the water just shimmers.
- Using a whisk or a wooden spoon create a swirl/whirpool in the water.
- Gently slip the egg into the shimmering water. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on how runny you prefer your eggs.
- Remove the egg with slotted spoon and drain well.
- Repeat with the remaining egg.
- Place the green leafs in two bowls.
- Add all the veggies, shrimps and poached egg to the two bowls.
- Combine the ingredients for the lemon dressing and serve on the side.