This recipe is for a fresh, crispy, easy and delicious salad made with smoked salmon, avocado and grapefruit. It is made with a hand full ingredients and only takes 10 minutes to put together. This salad is great to serve both for lunch, side dish, main course or to include in a sharing dinner or buffet. It is gluten, grain, dairy free and low carb.
A fresh, crispy and delicious salad combining flaky hot-smoked salmon, buttery and nutty avocado, sweet and creamy mango and tart, slightly bitter yet sweet and juicy grapefruit. There is also a fresh, crunchy and crispy base using Romain lettuce, cucumber, scallion and thinly sliced fennel. This humble and easy salad is just filled with different wonderful tastes, textures and colors that makes it joyful to eat! It is made with a few easy ingredients and only takes 10 minutes to throw together. I served this salad without any dressing since I find it flavorful and tasty as it is. But you can also make a lovely dressing such as a creamy tahini, spicy lime/honey, fresh yogurt lemon or tasty asian style sesame soy sauce dressing. Serve this salad for lunch, as a side dish, main course or include it in a sharing dinner or buffet.
A few tips:
- Use ripe avocado and mango, but not overripe. You want them to be soft, creamy and flavorful and not hard and tasteless. But make sure they’re not too ripe.
- The amount of red chili can be adjusted according to taste and how spicy you prefer your salad.
- Shave the fennel thinly, preferably using a mandolin. Then add it to a bowl with ice cold water to make it extra crunchy. Drain well before adding it to the salad.
- I used cashew nuts in my salad and dry roasted them. You can use any nut that you like or have at home, dry roasting is optional but recommended. You can also use pumpkin or sunflower seeds if you want to make this salad nut free.
- If you want to make it (more) filling you can serve it with some rice, quinoa or noodles.
Other recipes you might like:
- Raw Pad Thai (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Asian Style Salmon Salad
- Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Salmon Poké Bowl (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- Melon & Scampi Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Spicy Shrimp Salad (Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- All Green Salad (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Raw Beetroot Carpaccio with Fennel & Pomegranate Seeds (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Oil Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad Bowl (Vegan, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Tofu Bowl with A Spicy Tamarind Dressing (Vegan, Gluten & Grain Free)
- Half Baked Salad (Vegan, Paleo & Gluten Free)
- Summer Vegetable Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & Low Carb)
- Roasted Radish Salad (Vegetarian, Gluten, Grain Free & low Carb)
Smoked Salmon, Avocado, Mango & Grapefruit Salad (Gluten, Grain, Dairy Free & Low Carb)
- 1 Romain lettuce head divided into smaller pieces
- 1 Avocado peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/3 Cucumber deseeded and sliced
- 1 Mango peeled and sliced
- 1 Grapefruit peeled and segmented
- 1/2 Fennel thinly sliced
- 1 Spring onion thinly sliced
- 1/2-1 Red chili thinly sliced
- 150-200 g Smoked salmon divided into smaller pieces
- Cilantro, to top
- 1/2-1 Cashew nuts dry roasted
- Furikake seasoning, to top
- Slice the fennel thinly, preferably using a mandolin. Place it in a bowl of ice cold water immediately. This will make it extra crispy and crunchy. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add the cashew nuts and dry roast until golden brown, stir a few times. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn. Set aside.
- Place cut Romain lettuce, cucumber and avocado in a bowl.
- Peel and segment the grapefruit, add to the bowl.
- Peel and slice the mango, add to the bowl.
- Drain the fennel well from the water together with smoked salmon, sliced spring onion and red chili.
- Top with cashew nuts, cilantro and furikake seasoning.